Stevens or CRST? (for most $$$ first year)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ruudhompsor, Oct 16, 2017.

1. ruudhompsor

ruudhompsor Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2017
    First, I want to thank everyone for all of your great advice/responses to my first few posts on this forum. This forum is an invaluable resource for picking the brains of those with your combined level of experience and knowledge. So, again, thank you.

I have been accepted to both Stevens and CRST but would like to know which of these two will net me the most pay over the first year. Really, I guess the question is as simple as: will team driving (CRST, 25cpm split team) bring the most miles/money my way than will Stevens (solo, 26cpm)? Until just recently I considered CRST my last resort if necessary, but after doing a bit more research, I have determined that maybe CRST is the best route to go (?). I particularly like CRST's 80% drop n hook compared to 60% w/ Stevens. Also, no forced NYC dispatch w/ CRST. Also, CRST's overall training period is shorter along with shorter obligation for paying back tuition.

But, again, my question is: which of these two will make me more $$$? Anyone here have experience running team as newbie w/ CRST?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Do you really want to put your life in the hands of stranger who most likely won't have any more experience than you driving a 80k lbs WMD just for a couple extra bucks.

Tbruner16 and ruudhompsor Thank this.
  4. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Unless their policy has changed, Stevens has no forced NYC as well.

The potential to make money is probably about the same. It really comes down to your work ethic in most cases. In the end, training companies all pay about the same.

ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  5. steelcitytrucka

steelcitytrucka Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You won’t make much at all at CRST the first 6 months. The highest paying starter companies would be prime, knight, covenant,

ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  6. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    My opinion should mean nothing to you.

Have worked with several folks that either started at CRST, or came from there. None had good stories to tell. Most counted the days, down to the hours & minute till their obligation was up. All were happy as Apple pie to be gone.

No idea about Steven's, though. Haven't met many of those folks.

Take it for what you will.

Why limit you decision to just these two? Give it your best due deligence & research before you leap. It will be time very well spent.

Good luck to you. :biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    driverdriver and ruudhompsor Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with Stevens if you want to run solo and make maybe a little more the first year.
    You can do ok at CRST running teams if you get one of those coast to coast dedicated runs,which they seem to have several. The problem is teaming for most of us.

8. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    Doesn't US Express accept new graduates? I can't image teaming for 25 cents split.

ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  9. Boomer453

Boomer453 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Where do you live. Lots of places pay better than that.

ruudhompsor Thanks this.
  10. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Good Lord !
    26cpm solo
    Why ?
    Why ?
    Why ?

11. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Prime would be ideal if OP is in hiring area. Teaming with CRST is beyond Crazy and if you consider Stevens than prepared to be treated like an Inmate on Parole on a very short leash.

driverdriver and ruudhompsor Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.