Steven's Orientation and OTR training

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by ajb293, Mar 6, 2015.

1. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    that is the way of stevens dispatch/planners. California sucks, either hurry hurry, or wait wait, there is no steady.

Now enjoy those produce picks, they are so much "FUN"....

and don't be late on that whole foods load.

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ajb293

ajb293 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    So this load has two picks to it and the first one went fine. We were in and out within two hours. This last one though who shall remain nameless tried telling us we were not supposed to be here today. We are in fact supposed to be here today and have been waiting for several hours. They are going to load us today after the receiver contacted them but by then our 15 hour clock as a truck will be shot at this rate. So long story short I will probably have zero driving today.

In better news all 3 of major mountains were completed by day 5 lol! I am apparently my driver counselors first student that ever went over Monarch pass. This load if we can keep it barring this delay will satisfy the NE requirement as well.

I have to say California the parts I have been in are very beautiful and its a shame it costs so much to live here. I'm struggling to pass the time today....gets me frustrated when people make mistakes and then decide to punish you for it. We should of been long out of here once they found out our pick up was today.

EDIT: just bumped their dock. They have a million miles of space to do it compared to Oakland where I had to 90. Hoping I can get at least two hours of driving cause I am wide awake right now.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  4. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Personally I like California, never minded the picks. One thing you will realize is more often than not the mistake is coming from Stevens end. Can't say for certain in this case, but there have been many instances in my tenure where I had the wrong information on the load assignment. My last delivery had an appt time of 18:30... Customer had it as 18:50.

The most frequent mistake however is bad pick up numbers, at least in my experience.

The reason it takes so long when there is a mistake at a produce shipper is that they now have to get more product that they had not planned on. Often it comes straight from the field to the cooler then has to be cooled to a specific temperature before loading. If they do not have you on their docket for the day, they do not have the product available to just load you.

Sitting and waiting is a part of Trucking. It is a frustrating part, but you will deal with it from now until you get out of the business.

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  5. Silverdriver

Silverdriver Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Hi ajb293, You mention some "videos and tests" that are part of the training, are you doing those?

6. ajb293

ajb293 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    So yesterday was zero miles but today was 564 in 10 hours sweeeet! Feels like my body is still vibrating though lol. Had one really tight turn were i had to back up a bit to make it. Everything else was gravy don't even think I missed a shift. Yes you do have to do videos and tests weekly. I do them over my phone. The first week is around 3 hours of videos. Each video is about 5-8 mins and you have questions that follow. If you get one wrong you have to rewatch the entire video. I had like 3 videos i watched more then i wanted too the rest was easy.

I'm officially a level 2 which means I have about two more hours of videos to watch this week :). I'm not the biggest fan of them to be honest as they cut in to your sleep usually due to the gaps in data service while driving. Nothing presented in the videos has been new information either, just kinda a refresher on stuff you should already know. We should be resting in Arizona tonight my trainer is driving now to make this a full 15 hour day.

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Monarch pass is a great drive if you hit at the right time of year. In the tourist season they love following a big lumbering semi up the mountain, they look at you like "what the hell are you doing up here?"

CrazyPATrucker Thanks this.
  8. Silverdriver

Silverdriver Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Thanks for the information... And your driving experience with Stevens.

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  9. ajb293

ajb293 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    You're welcome silverdriver. Well today was an 8 hour day and god was I tired from the 10 yesterday. I didn't get the best sleep yesterday so I just had to stop before the 10 today. The entire drive was extremely unremarkable and dare I say easy today. Not sure how many hours my trainer is going to drive today.

I loved driving through Monarch and the river road leading up to it was really cool as well. Today I drove through Arizona all of New Mexico and just a little bit of Texas. I'm not really a fan of all the desert or the color brown anymore lol.

CrazyPATrucker and Ga Dawg141 Thank this.
  10. Ga Dawg141

Ga Dawg141 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Covington,Ga
    Im.really enjoying your Posts about your training .I have an insight into what to expext and how to prepare.Stay safe and Enjoy

Puppage and ajb293 Thank this.
  11. ajb293

ajb293 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Another 500 miles and 8.5 hours down. My stats for the day was top gear of 94% no over rpm 7.6mpg (give me dat fuel bonus!). Missouri is a pretty nice place. We drove by Prime and I dropped off an application! (Kidding) but yeah lots of interesting stuff in this state I was truly surprised.

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.