Steven's Orientation and OTR training

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by ajb293, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    where's your load headed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ajb293

ajb293 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Well guys and gals it has been an adventure but unfortunately my time with Stevens Transport ends here. I drove about 5 hours today and came to the conclusion that the "over the road lifestyle" was just not going to work for me. I could have finished the training and received my own truck but I felt that was just delaying the inevitable. I can not take the isolation of OTR driving. It is just you, the road, and nothing else. Some people enjoy this and at another point in my life I might be one of them. I'm going to try to find local work that includes a bit more labor. At 31 no touch freight is not exactly conducive to a healthy future. Sure there may be work arounds but my eyes did not lie to me at the truck stops.

I really enjoyed sharing my experience and I hope this served others in knowing what to expect. The sad part is its hard to convey how the "lifestyle" will effect you. One day I was fine and the next full stop need to get out. My trainer was a great guy and by no means influenced this decision if anything he made it harder to leave. I would still recommend people to use stevens transport and careers worldwide for their training / entry in to the field.

Tldr; I quit OTR lifestyle is just not something I can handle at this time. Driving is the easy part!

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  4. ajb293

ajb293 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    It was still heading to Connecticut and should still be ahead of schedule!

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    ajb, don't feel bad. This business isn't for everyone and it takes guts to admit it isn't for you.
    Like you said, maybe another time.
    Great to have had you on the board. Be sure and say hello any time you want.
    Good luck on your next endevour.

ajb293 Thanks this.
  6. Ga Dawg141

Ga Dawg141 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Covington,Ga
    I commend you for being honest with yourself and knowing what you want early in.Its been fun reading your adventure and getting tips on what to expect

7. Ga Dawg141

Ga Dawg141 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Covington,Ga
    Good Luck in whatever career choice you choose next.

8. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    It is a hard life for some people, others gravitate towards it. I am firmly in the second camp, but completely.understand how it doesn't work for all.

Good luck on finding some local work, Soda and Beer distributors along with Food Service companies such as Sysco and Sigma may he better suited for you as they do their own unloading at each stop so you will get your physical activity. Other options are Grocery Distributers, Construction Companies, etc.

9. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    the itch was scratched, and now you know. Yes it is you and yourself all alone all week long. It is a different life style, that some are suited to, and others are not.

Look into local pick up and delivery, don't forget about papa johns, dominos, that have fleets that deliver to the stores from their warehouses, the big ames in food service have ben mentioned, but don't forget about the litttle guys also... that is if you still want to drive local.

When asked by a waitress just you today, I always answered yes, I left me and I in the truck, fighting. Most people do not understand that line, but truck drivers do.

10. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good luck in your next endeavor! ☺️

11. crimedoc96

crimedoc96 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    excellent thread.very informative. Wish the op the best!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.