Stevens per diem pay?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by bamalu, May 13, 2013.

1. bamalu

bamalu Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Alabaster, Alabama
    How is Stevens per diem pay calculated ? Is it an xtra non taxable amount on top of your mileage pay or is a non taxable amount taken out of your mileage pay?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Per diem is done for company drivers only. Not O/O or L/Os.
    They post a certain amount of daily pay (can't remember the amount, but it corresponds to the IRS allowed amount..around $54, I think) as 'per diem', or non taxable, and calculate the taxes on the remaining balance.
    So let's say you earned $700 in one week, and for the sake of arguement the per diem is $50/day.
    They will post only $350 as taxable and figure your tax deductions on that amount, while paying you the other $350 in gross. So if your taxes are $55 on the $350, your net check will be $645.
    You have already taken your per diem in each check, so you won't have to do it on your tax forms.
    The advantage is you receive a higher net check each week.
    The disadvantage is long term in figuring government benefits such as social security. By this method, you earned $350 in the eyes of the government and were taxed accordingly. So your ultimate lifetime contributions to SS are lower and benefits will be lower.
    The same can be a problem for qualifying for a mortgage or car loan.
    If the loan manager is smart (and often times are dumber than a box of rocks) they will add the per diem back in.

4. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Or another way is say your pay is 40 cpm..they will take whatever they want to pay in per diem from the 40..so if its 15, you ge t taxed on 25 and then you get 12 cents non taxed, because they will take another 3 cents of your pay to process your pay..

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    And, even tho I don't do the per diem thing, I don't think they charge you a FEE to pay you your own money. Unlike some of the companies that charge an administrative fee to pay you your own money.

6. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Its calculated at (I think) 10 cents per mile. So if your making .28 you would get .10 as per diem and .18 mileage pay.

amd no, Stevens doesnt charge you a fee for doing it.

7. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Stevens does not take anything to process your pay. I doubt ANYONE does that, as it's not legal for an employee in most if not all states.

8. bigdogpile

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Yea my bad , stevens may not, but marten does, and a few other do too,

9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Stevens saves a considerable amount of money paying per diem... since they are required to match the employees SS contribution, the lower it is, the lower the match.

old time Thanks this.
  10. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Several companies do actually. I know that Werner does as well. Unbelievable right? :(

11. bigdogpile

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Thats why you should never accept per diem as part of your pay..we already get a tax deduction for meals and stuff on the road.we need a higher SS match for higher Bennys in the future..

Dryver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.