Stevens Per Diem

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Menehune, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I have heard that Stevens uses Per diem. Is this correct? If so, maybe you drivers for Stevens can enlighten me as to how this works, and the amount used per mile or pay check. I am not familier with per diem, as I have never worked where per diem was a factor.

Any info would be most helpful.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    For company drivers it is $.10 a mile. Per Diem.is considered a reibursment as opposed to income so it is not taxed.

For example of you are earning $.30 a mile and you drive 3000 miles, you have earned $900. What per diem does to that is it makes $600 taxable and $300 not taxable. So you end up with a higher pay check and a lower tax burden. Sounds good right? Not so fast.

Because your income is lower, your yearly earnings is less affecting things like your social security, loan qualifications etc. Also when you file your taxes that 80% of $58 per day or what ever it is, may not apply depending how much per diem you have already paid.

It actually benefits the company more than the driver, but it is one more consideration when considering joining or remaining with Stevens.

Menehune, Corporal_Clegg and jimo Thank this.
  4. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    You can (or at least use to) opt out of the per diem.

Roknric Thanks this.
  5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    I did not know that... it was not presented as optional to me.

6. FozzyBear

FozzyBear Heavy Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    They try to skip over that but it's your money. If its that important then be persistant in getting a definite answer, document who you got it from etc.

7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Yep, I will address this I think at the Start of the new year. Halfway through this one already, I'll just ride it out till then.

8. FozzyBear

FozzyBear Heavy Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    You used to be able to go to Driver Services and ask for a form, fill it out and that was it. This was over three years ago though, on my first go around. They may have made it mandatory, however, when I came back to work, many things in the system still remained, and that opt out was one of them. So I didn't have to worry about that this time around.

KMac Thanks this.
  9. mborner

mborner Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    A few things to consider: (1) per diem only applies to company drivers, as it is a schedule C deduction for Alliance drivers. Therefore, if you don't have enough deductions to itemize, you're better off taking the per diem, otherwise you won't be able to deduct it on your taxes. (2) any good loan officer should understand the per diem, therefore that shouldn't be an issue. (3) spot on about the social security

Roknric and Emulsified Thank this.
  10. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
  11. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thank you all for the information. Now interested in what the admin cost is on the per diem? Especially with a 10 cpm per diem. Personally I understand all the per diem things, (have been reading recently). In my position per diem would be a great help.
    See I am looking for ways to cut my federal tax berdon(?), and Have less taxable income towards social security so I dont have to pay.
    I already own all I want to own, am on retirement and social security. But I love working and want to make enough to sustain me while all my other income takes care of the homestead and wife. Therefore per diem intrigues me. Thanks again all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.