Stevens training : Dallas or Denver?

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Mus07_Grad, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Mus07_Grad

Mus07_Grad Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Mississippi
    Is there a better option or are the two schools equally good at teaching? Thanks to the law in Texas it is difficult to find someone willing to sign an affidavit for me. Any opinions or experiences?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I'd be interested in the answer, too.

4. DontTredOnME

DontTredOnME Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Colorado
    I started my career with stevens and did my training at Careers World Wide in denver. I cant personally speak to the differences between that program and Stevens in house training in Dallas but from what I heard from others in the company its about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I did my training in denver because that is where I live but since that is not the case for you I would suggest going with whichever is cheapest. (in case you were not aware, you only get a set amount per week for school payback -- i think 50 or 100 dollars -- and have to pay the remainder of your weekly payment out of your settlements) Just make sure if you go the denver route you get a prehire rather than just approved by cww to go to school lol. FYI either way be prepared to jump through lots of hoops. Stevens has more of them than most companies, but by the time you finish school, 2 orientations, trainer time, and trainee team time, you will know alot more than you would spending 2 weeks on a trainer truck like some companies do.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  5. Curb

Curb Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Gainesville Florida
    What do you mean prehire? I'm supposed to go to Denver this coming 14th.

6. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Curb, Don'tTread is talking about having received his training on his own, outside of Stevens. Things have changed since he would have worked here.

At that time Stevens did all of their training in Dallas or at Lone Star in Houston. Since that time the residency laws of Texas were tightened and it is no longer possible to get out of State Trainees a license using the hotel address. So to compensate Stevens has contracted with a school in Denver to train their out of State students and the Dallas school is limited to those in Texas.

A Prehire is simply a notification that based on the answers you have provided you appear to meet the minimum hiring standards and will he considered for employment pending verification. Students who go to independent schools generally apply to multiple.companies while attending school and are able to narrow their choices of where they may want to work based on the per hires they receive.

If you have been approved by Stevens to attend the school in Colorado, with them financing it, you are essentially no different than one who attends in Dallas. Don'tTread is comparing obtaining your CDL on your own and then coming to Stevens.

I don't think he is aware of the change in the law that necessitated Stevens contracting with the Denver school. I wish I could offer more insight into The Denver School, but I went through the Dallas school back when they still took out of state students.

Corporal_Clegg and Curb Thank this.
  7. Curb

Curb Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Gainesville Florida
    Okay thanks. Just trying not to get blindsided by anything out of the ordinary.

KMac Thanks this.
  8. Curb

Curb Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Gainesville Florida
    I just wanted to thank you KMac I've been following the Aviary page religiously and I've gotten some great information.

KMac Thanks this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    That's what it is there for. Hopefully you will continue to visit and join in as your training progresses and as time permits.

Thanks for the kind words.

Truckie83 Thanks this.
  10. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Aviary page???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.