Stevens Transport aviary

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Smokr, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigowl

Bigowl Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Smokr,
    When you get a chance, the next time you are in class ask does Stevens have any plans on switching to automatic transmissions anytime in the near future. I would hate if they do manual seems to be so much better from what I have been told by many drivers. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Stevens has no plans of going to auto shifts, cost, and the damage students do.

Bigowl Thanks this.
  4. Smokr

Smokr Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    varies widely
    Yeah, no autos, but they are going to 8-speeds instead of the current tens.
    Today we went right through Dealy Plaza! It was great! We drove around downtown Dallas and such, and I was like, wow, this looks familiar from some movie or something...then it hit me where I was driving through! I was probably all grin by that point! lol

Bigowl Thanks this.
  5. snakeskin

snakeskin Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Vacaville, Ca
    Hi Smokr,
    I just applied online for the training, is that how you applied and if so how long till you heard from them. I have been waiting to see if I got funded through a program that pays for retraining at a local cdl school but the wheels of the system turn so slow. I wanted to have my cdl but after talking to recruiting today ( they said they are not hiring drivers who have a cdl currently and couldnt get me in till late april if I went through the local school) so I decided to apply on line. I would like to get my new career started sooner rather than later. Please keep us in the loop as to how your doing. It is very important to me and others I am sure.
    Snakeskin

6. Smokr

Smokr Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    varies widely
    Right now no experienced drivers are being accepted until sometime past February from what I'm hearing around the school. Why, I have no idea. I guess it's hard to retrain to Steven's policies once you've learned another way(s) and driven for a while.
    Right now not even taking anyone until after the first of the year, and the first group is starting the 4th of January I think and is totally filled.
    I didn't hear back from Stevens for almost a month after I filled out the online application, and then they only asked if I would fill out a paper application if they sent me one. Then about two weeks after I sent in the paper application I got a phone call, then two weeks later I was signed up and another two weeks later here in Dallas.
    I specifically requested that they perform all their checks (driving record, criminal history etc) before they accepted me.
    I told my recruiter I was recording our conversation for my records and asked if that was okay, and when she said yes, one of the first things I asked was that they do all pertinent checks on me before they got me down to Dallas because I didn't want any "well we found something and you aren't Stevens material" after I was in classes and had wasted my time and money. I was very nice and very polite about it, and said I didn't think that they would do so, I just wanted to protect myself as much as I could after reading some of the horror stories at other companies.
    And I have read a lot of horror stories and I watched a good driver here in my class get the boot after they did a deeper check on him after almost two weeks of classes.

snakeskin Thanks this.
  7. beboppinbigun1

beboppinbigun1 Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Hernando,MS

Good to know i will do that as well, they called me back the day after i put my online app in the recruiter checked my DAC report while I was on the phone. she had to get approval from somebody else because of the fact that I drove before like 16 years ago. Then I got called today they are wanting me to get some forms faxed back so they can schedule me. It is moving way faster than I expected, now I have to decide between Stevens and Central they have aproved me as well

8. Bigowl

Bigowl Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I was reading in some of the post on here and a question was asked. Is shifting with the Jake on they way to go. Several drivers answered in different ways (kinda confusing). So I would like to bring the question to the attention of some of the Stevens drivers here. Is shifting with the Jake on the proper thing to do? If you believe it is explain why and if not explain why also. I've been on the Stevens forum long enough to believe their driver should know best. Thanks...

9. Smokr

Smokr Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    varies widely
    No choice there. I've been to Central's yard/depot in Salt Lake for three days, and I've seen their students, buildings and equipment.
    They do not compare to Stevens in any way. Well, both have some very good drivers working for them, but otherwise...

So today was the end of my second week at the Stevens school.
    Being a Saturday it was a half day, and we spent the day polishing our straighline backing, parallel parking, and tight turning out on the hill, which is what they call the driving range.
    In the last two weeks I've gone from knowing the CDL technical information but have never been in a truck, to being able to shift one but downshifting was impossible, to today, where I was able to go from a dead stop to sixth gear and back down without missing a beat, over and over, only occasionally grinding a bit of a gear here or there downshifting.
    I feel confident I can pass the DSP driving exam! I've driven the Dallas area highways, side streets, and even right through Dealy Plaza and through downtown. I've driven on some wavy, hilly, tight, twisty streets and I've driven on the Interstates. I can control my lane position, I can control my speed with brakes or downshifting, I can stop on a dime, and I always know how far I can stop that rig at any speed. I know I can turn it where I want it, and I can leave that curb or stop sign completely alone. In two weeks I've gone from timid and hesitant to confident and sure. I'm far from perfect, and hardly 'good', but I can control that rig, and I'm proud of that fact.
    And I still have a week to go!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    snakeskin and beboppinbigun1 Thank this.
  10. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Stevens policy is to NOT run with your jake on. The Jake is to assist you in going down a long grade, and maintain control. It is not to slow down for a off ramp, or to be on while driving through town.

So I can not answer your question, as I have never shifted with the jake on.

11. Smokr

Smokr Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2009
    varies widely
    LMAO! I can't help but wonder about his mileage!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.