Stevens Transport aviary

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Smokr, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I'm going out and buying a lottery ticket. (haven't bought one is years)
    First repower in Backwater MT. Driver calls, doesn't have hours on his 70 to make on time delivery to Seattle area. While explaining to him the chances of my finding a truck anywhere within 300 miles are about the same as my winning the lottery, I find one in the same truck stop. Long story short, the other truck's load delivers one day later giving the first truck enough time, plus the miles are 860 vs 857. Both delivering to the Seattle area.
    Wow!
    Then they hand me a ticket for a truck in Nashville with a Canada load. Driver is Canada capable, but doesn't have the 24 hour break within the last two weeks that Canada requires with their HOS.
    What are my chances of finding another truck?
    Next row over. Not only Canada driver, but again...miles are virtually exact!
    Lastly, a driver calls me. Needs a NE load for his student. I find a truck with a NY load just loading in area.
    Both drivers are happy to swap. Good miles for both.

So I'm outta here and off for a lottery ticket!

wowo6057, nascarchuck and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doulos

Doulos Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    The state of Confusion
    Sorry, that last truck swap used up your luck quota for the next 6 years. :D

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  4. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I ended up buying the Rand McNally TND710. Got it Friday and have used it for a couple of days now. Think that Im going to return it and swap for the Nuvi 465T. Im just not very happy with the 710.

The maps are old even though I did an update last night. My M-I-L's neignhborhood has been there 5 years or more but isnt anywhere to be found on the 710. I also noticed that 2 of my car dealerships that I went to the past 2 days arent there either.

After I did an update it wouldnt boot up so I had it go in and repair 45 files (took over 5 hours) but it boots up ok now.

It has something along the lines of predictive spelling that I cant stand and I cant find a way to disable that.

It is very slow at routing and rerouting.

The are some features that I do like such as the different alerts (speed, speed limit changes, toll booths, etc.) and alphabetical listing of your saved locations are just a few.

I had a Nuvi before and liked it ok so I think that I would like the Nuvi 465T better.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Repowers and GPS... OK then....LOL,

I am currently on a repower to Cheyenne because a truck broke down. Appt was rescheduled until Tuesday... WAY too much time, could have made Cheyenne Sun Evening, but get a QC message asking if I can help recover a load. Truck broke down at Wolcott IA going to NY/ NJ... I sent QC message back saying sure as long as its not going to Jersey City because the last time I went there I had an incident and I still have a pending court date fighting the ticket... my attorney is trying to have it reduced or tossed and I want no other things popping up there in Jersey City until that is cleared up.! I then drive the next 50 miles or so and get to Wolcott, send them a QC that I am here... I have heard nothing from them since the very first message. Resuming my trip to Cheyenne in the morning I guess.

I have mentioned that I am using a gps app for phone called Truck Routes and have been for the most part happy with it... so I don't known if this is a quirk or if something is wrong... but this load I don't really need it for directions, Walmart DC in Cheyenne, have never been there, but have passed it so no biggie, still I like to put it in so I can see how many miles left to go time left etc... but every time I put in the Cheyenne address... to include from her in Wolcott it is routing me down to I 70, over to Denver, then up I 25 to Cheyenne... I could see it doing that when I was in Dayton, but when I looked at the Atlas I saw two other routes that appeared shorter and my optistop was on one so that was the winner... but why in the hell is it still trying to give me that route? I have run it as shortest, quickest, and prefer Freeway... all with the same result of being sent down to I 70...

Let this be a lesson kids as why we don't blindly follow the GPS!

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  6. Elifiknow

Elifiknow Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Dead in the water. Started my day in Cali at 9 am. Between me and my trainer we made it to El Passo. Finished up my mountains and yay. On I-10 just passed I-110 and I check my mirrors (thankfully) an we are smoking bad. I pull over grab the fire extinguisher. And that is when we both realize I have a busted seal on the trailer. Trainer calls in as I stand ready. This happened just after midnight. Four hours have now passed and we are still setting on the shoulder. We now need a wrecker to tow us in too. I suspect we will be re-powering this loa too. I can NOT catch a break. The good side is I observed the smoke in time and we didn't loose the product and didn't have to call the fire department. I am sooo tired. Oh yeah and trainer says we must log this as On Duty AND we can't go to sleeper when we get to the shop as we must stay with the trailer. So even if the repairs are completed soon we still can't drive it to Houston. :-(.

7. mistermino

mistermino Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Boardman, Oh
    thought this was weird, my last trailer had skirts... the trailer i have now is a HIGHER number ...but doesn't have skirts! o_O

Q: If my load was scheduled to pick up on Oct 31st and I pick it up on November 3 ....technically, am I "running late" if it's scheduled to deliver 2000+ miles away on the 5th????

oops, I just unplugged my qualcomm...

8. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Someone probably ripped the skirts off already.

9. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Where do we usually go after emptying out in Salt Lake City?

10. EasyB

EasyB Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    No, really, I have been out of trucking for about a year, I talked to Katrina about my situation and she then emailed me a recruiting packet. I made out the application, and now just waiting to see what happens.

11. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Salt lake city, Hormel, Spanish Fork, Stouffers, and they have deadheaded me to Ontario Oregon, or Boise Idaho to pick up.

Corporal_Clegg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.