Stevens Transport FAQ

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Corporal_Clegg, Jan 4, 2012.

1. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    THe total tuition from Stevens school is $5995, the interest is 18% bringing the total to $7802.41. They way it works is you sign a one year contract to work for Stevens and then you will pay around $26.00 a week through a payroll deduction and they make a payment also, essentially leaving you effectively with a $4200.00 balance. You do have the option of paying it off early and they will knock another $600.00 off leaving you with a total of $3600 paid. If you pay it off early you are then released from you one year obligation.

If you leave prior to one year, the remaining balance of the full note becomes due, if however you remain for a full year you lock in the $4200 amount and can continue to make weekly payments of around $25 until its paid off even if you are working somewhere else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Privy

Privy Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sierras ,CA
    I was on their website and read after your 8wks OTR training program with a trainer you wil be assigned your own truck. On one of these other threads I read you actually have to team with another trainee(Dumb & Dumber) for some length of time before you can go solo.

Do they still do that and if so how does that work? What is the length of time and pay rate during this time I don't see any of this information on their website.

I find it pretty depressing the $350 a week during training is the same amount they were paying back in 2005 not bad mouthing just an observation of the times.

4. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    After the first 5 weeks with your O1 trainer, you return to Dallas for a week in the classroom and qualification skills on the hill (driving)
    Then you go out with another trainee for three weeks. Officially it's called Trainee to Trainee...but you're right...
    During all that time, you are paid $350 per week.
    The training pay is continued until you are assigned your truck in Grad Fleet.

Strykor Thanks this.
  5. Privy

Privy Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sierras ,CA
    @Emulsified...Thanks for the info if I hadn't already payed for my CDL schooling a couple years back this would be a good route to maybe take. It seems their refresher course would cost me about the same as the school, more than I paid for my schooling on my own.
    Maybe I will try and find out if I can pay for my own refresher course with an outside school and still be eligible to be hired...Thanks again.

6. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    A refresher course will cost you the same as a new CDL course. It's identical, except you don't have to take the DMV test.
    Try finding a local company you can drive for to gain some experience. Look at Home Depot, Lowes, a building material company, propane...just to get a few months experience. Then you will probably be hireable for OTR.

Privy Thanks this.
  7. Rif Raf McQ

Rif Raf McQ Light Load Member

May 9, 2012
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    If I chose to fly to Dallas instead of bus ride is there any kind of shuttle service from the airport or do I need to find a cab?

8. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Depending on the time of day of your arrival, there is a dedicated cab that the company sends out. John runs pretty much all day for Stevens. If he's off duty, they will have you take a cab and then reimburse you.
    Arrange the details with your recruiter in advance.

Rif Raf McQ Thanks this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    There is. I originally was going to fly... long story but I ended up on the bus, but they tolx me at the airport go to a blue or yellow phone, call for a shuttle and give thnem the billiing code that your recruiter will provide.

Rif Raf McQ Thanks this.
  10. Rif Raf McQ

Rif Raf McQ Light Load Member

May 9, 2012
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    I am defintely going to fly. I currently work as a dispatcher at a bus company and do not wish to be on one for 20 plus hours. I don't care how nice the bus is or how smooth the drivers might be I can't sit that long on a bus while somebody else is driving.

11. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Greetings all,

I'm considering a career change and have been talking to a few truckers over the last week. More than one said that Stevens was a good company to start with since they provide the training. However, after finding this site, I'm seeing quite a bit of anti Stevens comments, opinions, etc. Since some of you in this thread appear to work for them, I wanted your opinions. About me:

Turning 39, have 16 years law enforcement/government experience, no issues with drugs, criminal record, driving record, etc. I just moved back to Texas a year ago for a life reboot and that's why I'm looking into this as a possibility. My understanding (from what I'm getting from their site) is that they foot the bill for the training and then I gradually pay that back over time. I've got a family to support, so I do need some kind of income coming in - I'm not going to be able to go for months without any money coming in. I could suck it up for the three week training program, but after that it looks like you do get paid a bit correct? I think it's $350/week and that will gradually go up? I don't have any experience in this industry and I'm not overly picky, so many of the issues that I've read really don't concern me. My main issue(s) is basically making sure they foot the bill for training and I can slowly pay that back over time. Also, are you guaranteed a position with them after graduation? I'm also getting mixed answers on that. It doesn't really do me any good to quit my current job to do their training program and then be told I'm unemployed.

Next - how are the benefits, specifically how is their health insurance? This is something I have to have and my currently employer is bankrupting me with what they charge. I'm paying a tad over $1200/month out of pocket to insure my family right now and it's keeping us at the poverty level. Anyone have any input as to how their insurance is?

I'm probably going to check out one of their hiring events/seminars this week as well, just figured I'd pick some of your brains as well. Thanks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.