Stevens Transport FAQ

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Corporal_Clegg, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Welcome to trucking, everybody has an opinion about everything. Stevens is one of the top training companies but be ready for all kinds of humanity at the training school. Picture the bar scene on Star Wars and you get the idea.

papadonk, Dieselten77 and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I can't speak for the insurance, since I've never used it. (my wife received one of those golden handcuff retirement packages that included insurance)
    Check and see if you're eligible for retraining under the Displaced Workers Act. You can find out thru the unemployment office. If you are, they will pay for your tuition to a private school in your area, so you will receive your CDL before coming to Stevens. Also you should be able to be home nights while doing the school. If you go to Stevens school, there will be a hotel and food cost for you to bear. Stevens helps out in the form of a loan, but you will have to pay that part back.
    Once you have your license, either from Stevens or elsewhere, you can start at the orientation point. The first four days are not paid. Then after that, you are paid $350 per week during your training. This includes the 5 weeks with your trainer, the week between O1 and O2, plus the three weeks out with either an O2 trainer or with another student.
    Once you complete that, there is another couple days in the class room (paid), then you are assigned a truck and sent out. At this point, you will be paid 0.26 per mile, with that increasing every three months until you reach 0.30. After that, you will receive 0.01 per year increase.
    As a grad student, figure you'll average around 2,200 miles per week.
    Call the recruiting office for any other particulars.

banjo317 Thanks this.
  4. dre_tl

dre_tl Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2012

I take medication so do you think while out on the road with my trainer that once my medication gets low that I will be able to go to a walgreens to get a refill. Would we have time for that?

5. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I don't see why not. Just let him know a few days in advance so he can stop at an opportune time.
    Not all Walgreens are easily accessible for a large truck.
    You might consider WalMart for your prescriptions.

6. dre_tl

dre_tl Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2012

Ok now I found out that my medicine has to be picked up from walgreens because of the program I'm on. It pays for it. Now I know the truck can't fit in walgreens parking lot.

Now check this out: Say we at a truck stop cause we pulled in the city or town where we are delivering early and the load is due to deliver the next morning, I should be able to catch a cab to go the nearest walgreens to get it, right?

Or just say one of us is on a 34 hour reset. I should be able to do the same thing catch a cab and go pick it up

7. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I actually use Walgreens for the same reason. I try and refill when I'm home or at the yard. Once in a while I have to go to a store, and many times you can park at the loading dock. Remember, they bring everything in there by truck. But some stores have tight spaces and the company uses 28' trailers for those stores, so you have to keep an eye open.
    I don't think your trainer will be willing to hunt down a store, so I'd suggest you get two months supply before heading out.

8. BigTruckChuck

BigTruckChuck Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Dallas
    Question about driving in teams,

Do you pick your partner or do they select them? What stage is the best to tell them that might be what I want to do. Feel kind of dumb asking the question in class considering I just started to learn how to drive the truck lol.

9. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    For the most part, the teams at Stevens are training teams. One trainer, one student.
    No, you generally don't get to pick your trainer, however, they consider some preferences such as smoker/non smoker or if your female, your request for a female trainer.
    Another form of the training teams is the student to student (also known as dumb and dumber) process used in O-2. You are encouraged to pick your partner, but if you don't, they will assign you one.
    There are some true team operations at Stevens, most of which are husband/wife. In one case I know of two buddies that came to Stevens with the explicit desire to team. They are still driving together more than a year later.
    Don't feel badly about asking questions. No question is too dumb. I'd rather answer a 'dumb' question than to see someone make a 'dumb' mistake.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  10. fmann2012

fmann2012 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I'm getting my cdl from T.D.I. INC...I graduate in a couple of weeks...I've already applied at stevens and got a response from them.Their waiting for me to graduate...My question for you is, do you know if there is an apporoved facility in or near by kissimme florida, and if not how do i find out ??? And why do they show a video with a company driver wakeing up at his house and his truck in his driveway???

11. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    ask your recruiter regarding your question about an approved facility.
    As for the recruiting film with the driver leaving his house?
    Well it IS a recruiting tool...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.