Stevens Transport

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by trainee, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ItIsWritten

ItIsWritten Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Mobile, Al
    When you first come to Stevens Transportation you will be allowed 70$ a week while in class. However this depends on if you pass your health, and urinaylysis and your work background is accetable for hiring. And that you have brought all required documentation for DPS (Dept. of Public Safety).

Yes the Seventy is enough. Both hotels that you may stay at will have some sort of transportation to Wal-mart for you. The America Best has a few stores nearby and so does Crosslands (krogers). You as a new student will more than likely be at the America Best. Both hotels are decent. They are not 5 Star, but remember its free and your only there three weeks.

You will have three weeks of school. Which at the end if you pass everything and your background is acceptable you will be notified by Shirley Ponce that you are officially with the company at which point they will tell you to go downstairs to the training dept to get started.

You will 35 days with a trainer in that time you must do the following. Cross through all five regions (the southeast is a given if you leave out the yard with your trainer). You must pass two major mountains that they have listed (parley, donnors pass, cabbage, etc are some that you will most likely hit. You must bump a dock in the northeast (reason being they are usually small and tight in the northeast) You must obtain 8,000 miles driven by yourself and the truck must obtain 18,000 all together or a number accepted by training.
    During that time you will learn the basic of the qualcomm, tripworks, what and how to use scales, transflo, paysheets etc.

After that you will come for three days if you start on a monday for ORII you will leave on Wedneday. If you start Wednesday you will leave Sat, only after you have completed another roadtest.

This time you will be out with a trainer that they have titled Finishing Trainer. It can be useful. His or her job during this time is to polish you up. To make sure you know for sure how to use qualcomm, do paperwork, check in/out with vendors. He/she may also go over company policies with you. How to short message thx for thanks ld for load etc. Pick his brain for any and everything that you want to know. The only question is the question never asked.

Remember you control your pay once you go to mile pay after ORII they will not walk behind you to make sure everything is correct.

As far as health goes the following must be done
    1) You must not be color blind per DOT Reg.
    2) You must have all four limbs unless you have DOT Waiver
    3)Blood Pressure must be in accetable range or controllable by authorized prescribtion drugs
    4)You must be able to hear a whisper at twelve feet. The same sound is about the sound you will hear when a car is blowing his city horn with your windows up, ac going, and radio up
    5)You must be able to squat, bend, twist, and turn without much pain
    6)You must have 20/20 vision or be able to correct it with lenses or contacts

DPS in Texas will require the following

Birth certificate
    SSN Card
    Driver license from home state

And proof you live in texas. which stevens will give to you when you go to DPS
    Yes you can live in a hotel and be a residence in texas. You will see that on the form at DPS.

Your starting out CPM (cents per mile) will be .26 cpm which multiplied by 2000 is 520.00$ 2500 = 650.00$ and 3000 is 780.00

Which by any standard is far above the starting out pay. Unless you can call routes off by memory, where shippers/recievers are, the grade of mountains, which scales are open when. the difference in reefer, dry, flatbed, curtainside then your nowhere near a 1st Class Driver.

Have a great day. Remember have fun, stay healthy, and make the miles to make the wife happy which in turn will make you happy:biggrin_255:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbie67

newbie67 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Altoona IA
    ItIsWritten,
    Thank you for your service to your country. I am sorry about the loss of your brother and I hope that his sacrifice does not turn out to be in vain. I would also like to thank any other veterans who may be reading this and I pray that we never lose sight of the fact that freedom doesn't come free, whether it be ours or someone else's.

revslev Thanks this.
  4. Student Driver

Student Driver Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2009
    georgia
    Does steven transport pull alot of loads to or through georgia, and do they have a drop yard there are close by.

5. ringo43

ringo43 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Thank you so much for the advise itiswritten and also thank you so much for your time in the service. I am sorry to hear about your brother. I pray for each and every member of the military past and present every night. Do you drive for Stevens now?
    Be Safe,
    ringo43

6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Student Driver,

Yes Stevens has a lot of loads into and out of Georgia. We have NO drop yard in the area. Stevens only has one terminal, and that is Dallas. One of the ways Stevens keeps their operating costs down.

7. Student Driver

Student Driver Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2009
    georgia
    Thanks TLeaHeart for the info really been hearing alot of good things about stevens.

8. boogdaddy

boogdaddy Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern California
    Hey Fozzy or one of you other Stevens drivers-

Is the Stevens medical done onsite at their training center in Dallas, or do they send you to a clinic offsite? Does the workwell exam test one's strength and fitness? I've heard of a few companies that have you pick up a weight and move it across the room, or something similar. I'm not worried about it, I'm a big strong guy, I'm just curious what the exam is about. Also, was there a guideline for pulse rate? I've heard the BP max is 140/90 which won't be a problem. Thanks for any input anyone can give me.
    And Fozzy.....I hope you're continuing to do well. I should be starting about 8/31 or 9/7. I'm trying to get a few personal things done since I know once I start I won't be home to do anything...

9. FozzyBear

FozzyBear Heavy Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    They will loan you $70.00 a week to help with food, if you are frugal it can get you by. That's during school, once you graduate you start making $350.00 a week. On the road I can spend $125.00 a week easy. Monday through Saturday school, you get Sunday off.

10. FozzyBear

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Stevens has their own on-site Dr. They do not do a work well exam at all. Blood pressure is a DOT req, nothing on heart rate but if it is up they may ask you to come back and have it rechecked.

11. FozzyBear

Feb 24, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    A few people have been missing me, I appreciate that. I have been out driving with my second finishing trainer. I need to get my 7000 miles in so I can go get my own truck. Half way there. I had my own thread in the Favorite trucking companies section, but one of the volunteer workers for the site decided that they should merge this one and mine together. They did not however let me know about it, I had to ask when links stopped working. I asked if they could separate them as I started mine for the purpose of having a record of my adventure. I was politely told I could go somewhere else. I have no intention of infringing on this thread with my adventure, I will continue to answer posts but I think I'll move my adventure posts over to my facebook account. Anybody wanting to "friend" me over there can PM me and I will send you my facebook username. I'll still be around, just not going to put any more effort in where it can be negated by a well meaning individual. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they did it, makes perfect sense from their POV.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.