Stevens Transport

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Griffinator, Jul 23, 2015.

1. CHHALL3

CHHALL3 Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Augusta, GA
    But to go along with the hard work is, you will keep in shape, build strength in the arms from using the pallet jack, also pretty much wash your hair everyday due to a lot of dust & dirt from the freight, BUT, you are home every night and have weekends off unless you do what I did and volunteer, if needed to work weekends, which usually is about 2-4 hrs extra and by then you are already in the overtime pay. I usually worked 9am to about 8pm, with a 1/2 lunch, by law, written in, I usually eat while driving, just to get my deliveries done so later I could have a longer break before pick ups in the afternoon. Once you get your route down, it runs smooth, I never had a fender bender even on 25, 225 & 70 traffic, never had one!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime has a terminal in Denver.

From what you post, Prime would probably be the best choice.
    If that doesn't work out, then try Earl Henderson Trucking as a second choice. They pull Prime trailers and haul Prime freight and also have a guaranteed minimum weekly pay. Hometime wouldn't be as good as with Prime working out of the Denver terminal.

Prime would be best though in your situation. Several other choices available other than Stevens.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Griffinator, CHHALL3 and freightwipper Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know two places in Denver, but they don't have their own CDL school. They do hire new CDL grads. This is information you can keep for the future.

System Transport - has dedicated runs out of Commerce City hauling building supplies to surrounding states, then back to Commerce City.

Navajo Express in Denver has dedicated runs to various places such as round trips to Phoenix/Tuscon.

Keep a notebook with your backup plan of various companies. This way when you make a move, it won't be a lateral move with no improvements, instead you can always make your situation better.

Griffinator and CHHALL3 Thank this.
  5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I agree, people bash Prime for slow trucks and being a Mega but at least noobs can actually make money there.
    They even guarantee training pay at $700 a week. Where else can someone start off making money like that?
    uh huh yeah

Morgan1981, CHHALL3 and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Griffinator

Griffinator Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Great! I'll give him a call tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure that I had the right place.

CHHALL3 Thanks this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    If you want your foot in the door and don't mind the hours with a CDL you can start off as a concrete readymix driver for a decent company at least making $18 an hour and 1 1/2 for overtime or I made double after my 40. I also started out a little above that. Now be sure to ask the drivers about the hours as I was getting almost 90 a week and would def. been over 90 now. I only had one day a week with my family so I get more now driving TL. Just be sure of what you are getting into.

Griffinator Thanks this.
  8. Griffinator

Jul 22, 2015
    Denver, CO
    GP Express didn't work out unfortunately. I've applied to both Prime and Henderson, but haven't heard back from either yet. I've only heard from Stenens and Schneider.

9. CHHALL3

CHHALL3 Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Augusta, GA
    Bob called me last week regarding you, I guess he was interested, but whatever works best for you. I had a job with Stevens locked up by the 1st week of the school and went over the road for 2 weeks until I got a call from Bob. I went to GP Xpress as it kept me home every night with decent pay. You may want to call the school to check the status.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Reason for edit: I put wrong trucking school
  10. Griffinator

Jul 22, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Unfortunately, GP Xpress is about 45 minutes from where I live, if traffic is good. Currently my wife and I share a car, and she works in the other direction. Taking a bus isn't an option because of the cost/travel time of that in itself.

11. Morgan1981

Morgan1981 Light Load Member

May 24, 2015
    Stevens sucks to work for long term. I spent 4 years there. It's a high stress company with many hoops to jump threw. It will wear you down in every way. They have more rules than most prisons do. And unless you live in a prime spot they could care less if you make it home. Now in the flip side they have the best training program in the industry. So here's a simple thing to do go to school. Go threw their training. Get you six months bounce and change your number so they caint bug you. You could just about throw a dart into thin air and land on a better trucking company. Stevens is a training company that happens to haul freight sometimes. And remember what ever you do don't lease. Those folks down there are experts in selling that gimmick so good at it that even some drivers believe the bs. Lol .91 CPM with all that cost is crap. If you wanna go that route go to Panther or one of them that give you 1.41 a mile with lower cost. You'll be much happier good luck to yA.

true blue, CHHALL3 and Griffinator Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.