stevens work well test

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Big Dog 1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. steve23602

steve23602 Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2011
    newport news va
    ty it should work my buddy is on the account also and he makes good money and gave me some hints so i should be ok

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wgcarver

wgcarver Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Eastpointe,MI
    Well it's official. For me, Stevens is over. As of tomorrow morning I'm unpacking the truck in Dallas and headed home.

Among all the other problems that had occurred, there's a new wrinkle. A new doctor completes the medical exams and this one has a big kick on sleep apnea. I have no signs of it, but the government has set forth recommendations that this doctor feels to qualify, I must be tested. At a cost to me of $1800. If the test turns out positive, it will be another $700 at least for a cpap machine.

I'm not willing to go for it even though stevens will "loan" me the money. Why? It's simple. A long line of snafus, broken promises, homework half done etc and government making this career less and less lucrative by the day, I've decided that trucking for me is done. So, with three years of perfect markels, no major accidents EVER. No tickets EVER, no weight problems with the truck EVER, no customer complaints EVER, no service failures EVER etc, and also not once have I ever been the consummate trucker and complained without solutions offered, the Federal government has seen fit to take someone like me off the road to make us all safer and instead have inexperienced new guys replace people like me who are admittedly larger than I should be but in good health.

So if you wanted to be treated as importantly as the meat in the trailer, be a trucker. If you want to add all kinds of hoops to your life and be herded, inspected, prodded and controlled throughout every aspect of your life, be a trucker for Stevens.

Again, read my first post on this board and see just how far Stevens has fallen in my eyes. Not going to another trucking company. Returning to a prior career where I will succeed or fail because of my own talents and/or limitations. I'm sick of being held down with the millstone of government, insurance, and company stupidity. Good bye all.

You might find me in Monroe Michigan on the CB spending the weekends fixing windows laptops with viruses.

4. yukon2001

yukon2001 Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2010
    MI
    WGCARVER can you send me a pm as to what happened to you at Stevens?

5. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Very sorry to hear that dude. I can tell you that you can get the test done for $250.00 instead of 1800.00, and Stevens does accept the less expensive test. I too it myself. I know though that there are more reasons than just that for your decision. I hate the way the Govt steps in on everyones lives and careers and ruins everything it touches.

I wish you all the best in the future.

6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Stevens loss to loose a driver that actual cared about doing the job correctly, and training other drivers correctly.

Now it is NOT the federal government mandating the sleep apnea test...it is not even a proposed rule yet. It is a group of doctors that have a solution in need of a problem, and have sold the insurance industry on the naturally occurring sleep apnea. And the criteria that has been proposed and is being followed by so many is garbage. Neck size, and weight have very little correlation to a person stopping breathing during the night. It has more to do with the soft pallet, and humidity. Drink plenty of water, and be well hydrated, from a doctor who disagrees with the sleep apnea hysteria.

Follow the money, and one will see why this new wrinkle. And yes there is a $250 test for sleep apnea, it is a T-shirt with sensors, but I bet the doctor that recommends the $1800 test owns the sleep lab too.

I wish you well in your endeavors Mr Carver.

7. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry to see you go. Good luck in your new (old) career.

8. Laith

Laith Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Hello TL,

I'm fairly new to the truckersreport. I'm retired Air Force of 22 years, hung my boots up June 2012. I served in Transportation and Logistics. I drove conventional sleepers, motor coaches, 20 ton forklifts and 20 ton wreckers. I have my CDL with all endorsements, except S.

My question concerns medical history. Is it standard procedure for Stevens to review medical history or do they only review it if they find they need to follow up on potential issues? Also how far back does Stevens review medical history?

9. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    I left Stevens in July of 2012. They review the answers to the questions, and check your body for scars... did not disclose the reason for a surgical scar, they will question it.

Laith Thanks this.
  10. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    The medical issues are not to find an excuse NOT to hire you, but rather to determine if you are capable of performing the job.
    I had failed to disclose surgery for a torn rotator cuff (done years earlier). The doctor, upon seeing the scars asked me. I told him. He had me do some range of motion moves, hold a five pound dumbell with arm extended and lift it over my head.
    That was it.
    He also found a scar on my knee. I told him that was from playing hide and seek while on vacation in Southeast Asia back in '69. He laughed and went on.
    So it's not all that bad.

Laith Thanks this.
  11. Laith

Laith Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Virginia
    TL,

Oh okay, I thought they automatically asked to review a potential hires medical record even if they are scarless.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.