Stop calling it a back haul

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BAYOU, Jun 5, 2014.

1. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    This drives me crazy when a customer or broker has a load where your dropping off at and once you to bring it back at half the line haul rate or free....

Last week I had a customer with a load going into a good spot I charged them $1,800 going out and than had something coming back the trucking out fit they been using will charge them $900 for that return load...now why would I do this when I can haul a load off the board for more money? I'm not going to sell my self short because I don't have to go somewhere else to load or spend some time calling and looking.

SL3406, Foxcover, MJ1657 and 15 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    The whole point of a free market is to produce goods and services at the lowest possible price, not to get you the highest possible profit.

It doesn't matter what you call it, if they can do it cheaper, good for them.

nightgunner and jbatmick Thank this.
  4. BrandyJo

BrandyJo Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    How about, customer service. If you won't take this return for them, and another guy will, guess who they'll use for the first trip so it's easier to get the 2nd covered?

Richter Thanks this.
  5. But when the cheap hauler gets stopped for out of service, truck break down, doesn't show up in a timely manner or wrecks load. Maybe they will think twice before under paying a reliable hauler.

6. BrandyJo

BrandyJo Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Just because they take the return trip doesn't make them a cheap hauler or a bad trucking company. My current and previous companies both give discounts (half off) for return trips, so do all my direct competitors. It's standard. If you're not willing to do it someone else will. We look at it like this, it saved us time, fuel, miles, and web searching. Truck was already there, load was guaranteed and ready. No having to look online for a load, no having to spend the night waiting for a load to be ready, etc. And my company now and before are not substandard, we're not begging for freight, just serving our customers.

Richter and nightgunner Thank this.
  7. 2tonetony

2tonetony Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    its called freight cost and reduction. Companies spend a lot of money a year on moving thier freight, they need to save money at every chance they get. If they paid you 1800 both ways that would no be a very effective way of saving the company money. people think the brokers are the greedy ones, but its actually the trucks that are greedy. I know they have more overhead and insurance and yadaydayda. but I have trucks that are getting paid 5.39 a mile and he is ######## because he might have to drive 20 miles more on a load instead of his useal. grow up

8. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    We call it a backhaul because that's what it is. It gets us back to our higher paying freight at home.

SLANT6 Thanks this.
  9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    How does the shipper know that you are trying to get back to where the higher freight is?

After all, if they paid the same rate, would you call it a back haul then?

I personally do not believe in reduced rates. My cost of operating the vehicle does not reduce for the backhaul.

BAYOU, chalupa, LBZ and 9 others Thank this.

10. I have had "backhaul" loads alot of times with many companies including the most recent. I am not a load queen that needs or aims to always have 5.49/mile loads. I look for reasonable rates $2. Is not asking for the shirt off the receiver/shippers back. I have the issue with $1.35/mile for. Full loads of 48k tapped loads. It has been more than I can count. I am not fortunate enough to be a door slammer with a box. I work and work hard. Also. It's not the "truckers" who are out for big bucks. I've witnessed brokers pocketing $950. Off. 1 of his 6 loads going to the same. Short haul location. Charging large to a shipper and under paying the transporter.

Dealing with load boards and direct shippers as well as brokers is the way of trucking. I give 110% in customer service to my clients. I've talked to hundreds over the years.

No one should be sold short just because it's in the same location as your drop. That's a gift to a truck, No dead head miles. It still is a load and needs all the attention of proper loading, securement and customer service.

Just my 2 cents.

Davidlee, BrandyJo, johnbwheel and 4 others Thank this.
  11. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    So your saying when your looking for a load back you take the first load you find without doing any negotiating?

My point is I'm not going to haul a load back at $900 when I can get $2,200 coming back or even more the only reason I charge $1,800 going in because I know what's coming out last run out of there was $2,450.

peterbilt_2005 and exhausted379 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.