Stop engine light

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by slhamma, Aug 16, 2018.

1. slhamma

slhamma Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Piston cooling oil control ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Piston cooling nozzle failure? Didn’t know that would throw a code. I would not drive until properly diagnosed. That nozzle fails, and you keep driving, your looking at an in frame.

4. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I had that happen to me on a Cummins. Did the rod and main bearings and the tech knocked it off and didn't say anything about it. Got about 70 miles down the road and got a high crank case pressure code. Sad thing is had the work done at Cummins. Good thing is they backed it.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    He busted off one of the cooling nozzles? Must have really been banging around under there to do that. Just to note, on the Cummins they have an upgraded cooling nozzle, best to swap those out when doing the rods and mains, not that difficult to replace.

On edit: Just to note, these cooling nozzles are sometimes a mix of plastic and steel, with age and heat they do fail. So not always the mechanic. If you are getting in to the lower end, if possible, it is best to replace the cooling nozzles. They are located at the base of the cylinders, and shoot oil into the piston and cylinder from inside the block cooling the pistons. There are six of them and they use one bolt to attach.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    You are absolutely correct. When we dropped the pan again you could see the marks on the oil jet from a hammer, with the jet cracked and the head deformed. The mechanic did admit that when he was tapping the bearing in the hammer slipped, but he didn't think it did any damage..... Really!?!? At any rate they did stand behind it and replaced the piston and liner. I bought the rest and had an in frame done for $3 K since they already covered most of the labor lol

baha and KB3MMX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.