Stop lamps and Jake brakes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jship, Jan 26, 2020.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I use my jakes to slow me down.

npok and flood Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    On what?
    You can have amber turn signals and brake lights, but no steady amber to the rear.

stwik Thanks this.
  4. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    You obviously have not been reading what has posted

Table 11 from nhtsa.gov
    I have atached a photo from the post but allow me to paraphrase
    Tri-lights - amber light is allowed to signal a no pedal activation

5. jamesh1979

jamesh1979 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2011
    minneapolis,mn
    2008 t800.... lights didn’t come on but the Jake was so loud I’m sure you’d know I was slowing down.

2020 t800.... lights come on Jake makes no noise

Haven’t crashed with either one. Haven’t got a ticket with either one.

if you get rear ended,it’s always the person that hit you that is at fault

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I guess this is the new way, brake lights aren’t on, he was moving. 06061CCE-7B58-4785-879C-D973435A4ED3.jpeg

7. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Is it the clarity of the photo or ammo seeing amber lights?
    I truly don’t wish to argue with you and see your point.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Jship

Jship Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2019
    This is not always true , if your stop lamps are not working properly then you are at fault, for a lawyer that know the law and your truck computer shows that's how it's a set up your screwed

9. Jship

Jship Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2019
    The other thing I think will most certainly come to light is the "boy who cried wolf" cenerio
    Depending what job I am doing I can use Jake's 500 times in a 14 hr shift, and I don't use them to shift like some people.
    You can probly bet your last dollar people will become so used to seeing stop lamps come on with Jakes and engine brakes that they will no longer associate it with stopping and then someone will do emergencY stop and they will plow into them . Heck some have Jake's set so sensitive that just letting foot off accelerator turns them on, mine are set to delay but I don't set up my Equiptment like corporations and young hot shots do.
    As always 50+ yrs of Jake's being out and suddenly it's an issue that needs laws changed
    I think the problem is not with Jake's it's with people not paying attention when driving , to many cell phone users tring to mask there accident using excuse trucker used Jake's and they did not know they were slowing down and had nothing to do with following to close or lack of driving ability.
    But hey after international and navistar threatened to sue me, throw gag orders and tie me up in courts for ever for releasing who to fix the maxforce engine and keep it out of the shop on the grounds they needed the repairs to stay afloat I knew it was time to sell all my new Equiptment and go back to reliable trucks like my series 60 that gets 5-12mpg (14+ bobtailing and cheaper to drive then most pickups) depending on what configuration (5-8 axle) I am pulling compared to max 8 mpg for ltl drivers and so long as I do preventive maintience it never lets me down and every company I ever worked it under it was always the most fuel efficient even after 250gal a month dumped into mobile home oil furnace.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Not necessarily. A little over 90% of rear-end collisions are the fault of the person in the rear, but I personally run a dash cam for that other 10% which are caused by the person in front doing stupid #### like, oh, I don't know, suddenly brake checking you or some other aggressive #### like that. Normally I'd say good following distance is a cure-all, but I HAVE had situations where someone locked it up in front of me in poor weather conditions, and I didn't realize how hard they were braking for no reason until my loaded-### SUV was almost on top of them... those are the times that the experience I gained driving truck takes over and 9 times out of 10 I'm diving to my right to avoid hitting those ########. Let someone else have the injury/fatality on their record.

And that ignores the 4-wheeler version of a backing accident...

Bean Jr. and jamesh1979 Thank this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You don't say... :rolleyes:

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.