Stop Temporary Foreign Workers

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Runawayscreaming, Apr 4, 2013.

1. TexasTailTwister

TexasTailTwister Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2013
    This is who I was referring to, I was being polite by not correcting your spelling .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Walt NJ

Walt NJ Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Wantage, NJ
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out. And living in NJ is expensive as hell, so Canada might still be better.

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    It's not the temporary foreign workers that are the problem. It's the big mega carriers taking advantage if them by buying the politicians that implement these programs. Blaming them is like blaming the scab on your arm not the person who whacked you and made you bleed. Rates are the way they are because the big companies can slash costs and with large numbers of trucks they can net 10c a mile. 10c sounds like #### to us but x 10000 miles a month x 500 or 1000 trucks... starts to add up.

stacks, Prairie Boy, Walt NJ and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Walt NJ

Walt NJ Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Wantage, NJ
    You're right on. The mega carriers on both sides are killing the job. Their actions are done strictly done to benefit the company. In many cases, the driver gets screwed, but who cares. It's only a driver. If a driver does benefit, that's OK, but not necessary.

How many times have drivers run out of hours while almost home and had to take a break/re-set? The difference between driving driving 65 mph and the speed limit ( especially out west) can add an hour a day to your trip ( 11 hrs @ 5 mph). Over 6 days, that's 6 hours longer to get home.

No mega carrier job for me.

Canucklehead and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  6. Red Snapper

Red Snapper Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Just stumbled on this thread , not sure how , but I arrived here . Anyhow I read the gist of it and as I was once a TFW 10 years ago working alongside Canadians on the same hourly rate , ( never been paid by the mile ) I don't see how I helped drop rates ? I was treated the same , the company that brought me over did so because they couldn't employ the locals , Why ? Well maybe they made such a bad name for themselves with the Candians they had to go and find drivers from all over the world , literally . And still , ten years later they fly drivers in from all over Canada into BC to fill a truck seat .
    The TWP was designed to cover the shortage of drivers in Canada , there was a shortage because the average Canadian driver was too apathetic to stand up for himself against the company's low rates , dire working conditions , lack of paid holidays and virtually no employment rights .
    These are NOT caused by TFW's , they were here long before any of them arrived .
    I fully agree the program was abused by a lot of the companies , but the provincial government knew this and did nothing about it for years .
    My wife set up a business here and employed local people had nothing but trouble from them , never showed for work , did a crappy job and forever texting there mates in work time , the most unreliable non committal people we've ever seen , and she was paying way above the going rate .
    We were sold the dream by these companies , and it turned out we were nothing but scapegoats for the Canadians who just wouldn't do the job .
    I've have had my fill of this country and its two faced apathetic spineless people and just can't wait till I'm in a position to get back to England . ( don't worry won't be long now )
    I came here , did what was asked of me , drive the BC mountains with a Btrain ( fuel) and do it just as well if not better than the so called experts .
    I've put up with more crap and stress in ten years than in the previous 26 in England .
    And I find it just typical that the "Canadians " try and find something else to blame there crappy working conditions and low rates .
    It's about time the citizens of this country stood up for them selves , stopped moaning and actually do something about YOUR problems , instead of blaming it on legitimate TFW's .
    But I suspect I will be feeding the worms by then , but at least they will be English worms .
    Have a nice day folks .

7. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Never had a shortage of drivers, but a huge shortage of decent paying driving jobs.

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Need any help packing?

upnorthwpg and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  9. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Guess that post hurt the truth mostly does .

10. Red Snapper

Red Snapper Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2017

Certainly not , But if I did you'd probably send me a text message ten minutes before you were due to arrive , saying you couldn't make it .

11. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    And you got paid .50 a mile? TFW coming here now are getting low to mid 30's or less and the government tops it up. It's not their fault, they are still doing better than they did at home, but you won't find anybody here that will drive for that crap. Anybody who pays a good wage gets good workers. When your paying a good wage you have your pick of the crop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.