Stopping at scales when empty with a flatbed...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by joseph1853, Dec 23, 2018.

1. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Ok, so...heres what we now know,

1. Dont stop at any Montana scalehouses no matter if you're loaded or not as long as you gross 25,999 or less.

2. Its ok to run illegal on loads anywhere, as long as scalehouse gives you green light because they dont see or notice your situation

Got it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Broad daylight, the officer saw my load, and pulled me in. No tickets, had the permit and he let me go. Idaho, which is more strict than Montana, let me roll through. By this time I had a chain wrapped around the rear end of the logs pulling them inwards which had pulled them in a few inches. That probably helped the situation. Made the delivery no problem after than. I can show you the permits from both states, log for that day, and signed BOL if you’d like. I haven’t hauled a load from them since then. I only did it because things were slow around here at that time, and we needed the income. By the time it was over width I was down the road from the shipper. Then I did what I thought was right to get me to the delivery. It didn’t pay very well, but it got me close to Utah where the loads are pretty decent.

You’re really taking this personally. Like some sort of vendetta towards me. The OP asked about stopping at scales with an empty flatbed which I stated I do. Now we have this tangent where you’re trying to prove I’m some sort of pathological liar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    adayrider Thanks this.
  4. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    No I'm not, but if you want to argue I ain't doin much right now. I'm kinda bored anyhow

I do appreciate your efforts here, you're really going above and beyond. We now know that Montana does mind if hundreds of trucks per day blow by the scale with hopper bottoms and van trailers because they are 25,999 or less. I told you....we get it.

Also, the green light at a scalehouse means you're good to go on any circumstances (as long as they cant visually notice flat tires or brakes out of adjustment etc..from their office window)

I understand now. I really do.

Ruthless, 4mer trucker and SAR Thank this.
  5. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Well my personal friend who happens to be a DOT officer at the scale has told me a couple times now it’s OK to bypass the scale under 26,000. Due to the nature of this conversation I felt compelled to send him a text asking just that question again. If you’re doing it with an empty van trailer then you should be ready to get chased down for a look see, and be #### sure you’re under weigh. Pulling a trailer I’d rather just roll through the scale in the bypass lane to avoid a visit from the motorized gestapo.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If I hear one more time secret government sensitive etc.

People involved in that sort of stuff would not be exposing themselves online much.

I was thinking how relatively few coops were open in my lifetime and how little I was inspected, weighed etc. Maybe a dozen times or two total. (Once i got out of the sea can business about the time VA closed certain scales) Nationally.

Wyoming and Maryland continued to be pretty active for scales as does LA and Tennessee.

7. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    The one that kills me while empty with an open deck trailer are Florida agriculture check stations. Red light everytime and the signs read all commercial vehicles. I have seen many flatbed trucks roll past, but I'm not that brave.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet I read a post where you claimed to do just that....

Grubby, Gatordude, 7-UP and 4 others Thank this.
  9. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Of course not, the helicopter took over their duties temporarily.

Grubby, 7-UP, Bean Jr. and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Either I’m having deja vu, or I’ve seen this line of BS somewhere else before.

Bean Jr. and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  11. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I am a van and I don't go in Florida agricultural stations. I do have pre pass and get green lights each time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.