Storage trailer- bringing home

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Looking to purchase a storage trailer. My notary tells me I must register and buy a tag to pull it home.

I see many storage trailers without a title. Is registering and getting a tag the only way to bring it in? ( no tow truck- I would pull it in with my tractor).

Also if anyone knows of any inexpensive storage trailers in the Philly/ Allentown Pa and surrounding areas, pm me.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    In Pennsylvania there is not a temp or in-transit tag for in state residents only for those that purchase and leave the state. Now, if you buy from out of state that state may offer a temporary non-resident tag to allow you to get it home.

Not sure about where exactly you are but my township requires all highway vehicles to be registered, including storage trailers, so most folks buy the one time PA permanent trailer plate to keep the zoning officer off their arse.

As for inexpensive trailers I have done business with Art Trovei for years. He is a little out of the Allentown/Philly area (just across the river in Port Jervis NY which is exit 1 in NY on I-84) but always has good prices. www.trovei.com

Dino soar and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Port Jervis still have the cheapest fuel

5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Brian I tried to send you a private message.

Are you not permitted to receive private messages?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Just take a tag off your other trailer and use it to get it home, then buy what ever you need for a reg. and perm. tag after you get it set up, if you pull landing gear off and tandems out from under it, you may not need all that paper work done

86scotty and Caterpillar Cowboy Thank this.
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Do it at night and have someone follow behind you. Heard someone did this....

8. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Not really much of a difference anymore since NY and NJ both raised their fuel taxes.

9. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Unfortunately no, per the board rules I can't PM with members since I offer DOT consulting services and they have a restriction on solicitations here. Same rules the brokers that are on this board follow. Sorry about that.

It's all good, I respect their rules as this is a private forum and they don't have to allow me to participate at all. I give advice here just to help keep good information available instead of the "I think" or "I heard" types of advice so common on the internet.

10. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    In some states a bill of sale is good for 30 days.

I know of people who move job trailers on bills of sales.

I also know of job/storage trailers where it's better off to have one of their guys just follow along behind you for short moves from job to job in town. Quicker than fixing the trailer lights or setting up wrecker light bars.

I do not condone any illegal activities.

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Me neither, I just do them.

I'd pull my trailer tag and use it on the trailer you need to move IF you don't have to cross any scales. If you have to cross scales, well, get more creative.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.