Straight Pipes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, Apr 14, 2012.

1. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    LoL........I bet they would be noisy. I'd like to hear one running. Seems like it would have a deep sound to it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    My one pipe has a drain hole at the bottom and the other- well I never hear from it!!!

camaro68 Thanks this.
  4. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I've seen rain caps come from the factory on trucks as late as 05/06 or so.

I can't imagine them being practical with a DPF system. The tips are sometimes intercooled, so anything bolted on hanging over the flames during a regen would likely cause a hot spot, and some undesireable warping/discoloration/corrosion.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    It does not matter if the truck has straight stacks, curverd or bullhauler style (I've had all 3) rain will get into the stack the same. Yes, even the curved stack. My old FLD had a curved stack and it sat for 4 days at a time. If it rained a day or two, and I fired it up, I had to make sure my car was not parked in the line of fire because a bunch of water and black liquid suit would come spewing out.

The key to keeping it from rusting out is to go out daily and fire it up if it has rained. Once it warms up a bit, just give the throttle a few good wacks and it will clear them out. If you are just taking a 10hr break then normal driving will clear it up.

Most chrome shops sell a kit for the straight stack guys. They consist of "top hats" for the stacks and an extendable pole to place them on there.

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB...p?itemid=98468&itemdesc=6"+Dual+Stack+Hat+Kit

camaro68 Thanks this.
  6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    yeah i have those, but you know what's annoying about that. when you start up after waking up and all of a sudden you hear this banging noise. then you realize you have to get out and pickup your top hats. but first you have to find them!:biggrin_25510::biggrin_2559:

SHC, camaro68 and 2bit Thank this.
  7. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Parking inside is so much easier!

SHC and camaro68 Thank this.
  8. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    yep thats why i cut mine down to fit in my 12 ft doors.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  9. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    The stack hat looks like the best way to cover them. I didn't realize that water would get in the curved stacks just as much.

10. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I have a folgers coffee can, duck taped to old broom stick to cover my turn out pipe, when home, if raining.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA

I don't believe that exhaust gas scavenging facilitated by the exhaust system is a factor in turbocharged engines. At least not downstream of the turbine.

SHC and camaro68 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.