Straight Pipes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, Apr 14, 2012.

1. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    I like the looks of the stacks. Also, you don't realize how many 4 wheelers with adults and kids who oohh and ahhh at the cool trucks going down the road. Alot of truck admirers out there! Nice to take pride in your home away from home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yes, after they spin around the compressor wheel, it exits thru the s-pipe or downpipe as some call it.

Here is a basic video of how it works. The exhaust is explained at about 1:00 into it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGhlgphrBxA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

camaro68 and 2bit Thank this.
  4. camaro68

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee

5. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yes, and you also now understand why they cause so much damage when they finally do go out.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  6. camaro68

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    Yes, I see now. There is alot going on in such a small unit. I couldn't imagine spinning at a top rpm of 240,000. Let's say you have been driving 4 hrs at 70 mph. Time to rest for the night. How long do you wait for the turbo to cool down? Before you shut the engine off.

7. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have a 5 min timer programmed on my truck

camaro68 Thanks this.
  8. last 1

last 1 Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I wait tell EGT's are below 300 degrees.
    Usually by the time I get parked a update the log its cool enough to shut down.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    120k rpm is pushing it for a cast compressor wheel. Some people are a bit dramatic when it comes to turbo cool down. The bearings don't completely dry out the second you shut the truck down. Letting it idle for 10 min like some do is overkill. A timer is one thing but stairing at the window waiting on a certain temp is a bit much. I've destroyed several turbos and none were due to shutting down hot. 3 were broken shafts (junk stock Cat 6NZ turbos) and 2 were due to an exhaust gasket sleeve.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My general rule of thumb on turbo cool down in the spring, hot summer days, and fall is to let the truck slow idle with the engine fan on while I'm parked at the fuel island. Punch the info in the pump to start it, raise the hood, get the fuel going in the tanks then walk around to shut the truck off. That's about 4 or 5 minutes before I shut it off. Check everything in the engine well, belts, hoses, clamps, grab steering shaft and twist checking for losseness or play - finish up topping the tanks - by then the oil is drained down completely and ready to check. In the winter time when temps are really cool slowly exiting the interstate and rolling to the fuel island from there is sufficient cool down imo so I don't leave it running as long then. It just depends on how hard you've been working the truck and the idea is to get the temps down to normal idle temps before shutting it off for the turbo bearing to be sufficiently cooled down preventing premature failure... Common sense approach...

camaro68 Thanks this.
  11. camaro68

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    That sounds like a good routine. How many trucks have you driven so far as an o/o?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.