Straight Pipes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, Apr 14, 2012.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Just this one for the past 345K miles. Probably 1.2 million in half a dozen different company trucks and never a turbo problem.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I have never had a turbo loss in 32 years and over 3 million miles .....I let mine cool down before I shut them off. I was taught that it was not for lack of oil at shut down but to stop what they called coking the oil . Basically the heat will burn the oil to a black crispy sludge that will kill the bearings.

Now whether this helps or not with keeping my turbo from dieing I can not swear to but I know this 10 minutes of idle time on my engine and the cost of fuel is cheaper than ANY turbo I know of .

So that's my 2 cents worth and it is worth just that because I am no expert by any means .

2bit, camaro68 and windsmith Thank this.
  4. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    Three million miles. That's just hard to imagine. What decade was the best for earnings? I knew a guy who owned a Phillips 66 gas station, full service. He told me the 70's were his best earning years. He said he remembered when his trucking customers would fill up for a little over 100 dollars. How times have changed.

5. DodgeFarmBoy

DodgeFarmBoy Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Southern, Minnesota
    Cant even fill up my Diesel pickup for under $100 anymore :biggrin_25513:

camaro68 Thanks this.
  6. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    The miles add up fast . It is just like getting old it happens before you know it ! LOL .

I can remember when I would take 600.00 when I left home on Sunday and got back Saturday with a 100.00 left over and that covered food fuel smokes and other bad habits I had back in the day :biggrin_25525:

Of course that was when you could park on the fuel island go in and eat while you were fueled the truck washed and parked for you . Oil change were 90.00 for the full meal deal and they thanked you and ment it because they really were glad for your buisness .

Heck you even new other drivers by their truck when you seen them because you would always see each other at about the same spot every week .

OK enough old trucker stories for kids grandpa needs his rest LMAO .

kubotaorange76 and camaro68 Thank this.
  7. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    In the late 60's,early 1970's I remember when fuel went from 23 cents a gallon to 25 cents here in the Bikini state..Thought that was terrible. Good freight was paying a buck a mile, most was around 65 to 70 cpm.Company drivers were paid around 7 cents per mile.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  8. camaro68

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    LoL.......You got to see the best of times. Be nice to get some truckers from the 60's,70's era and sit around and listen to the stories.

9. camaro68

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    .25 cents a gallon and good paying freight 1.00 per mile. Sounds like it was a good money making time. Just think if you put some of your earnings in the stock market in companies like GE and held till now. You would have been a millionaire several times over.

10. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    There is no truck of any make that comes sans muffler... we've had noise limits on class 8 trucks since the 70's....

You can remove the mufflers...

camaro68 Thanks this.
  11. camaro68

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    Peterbilt 389 model........The top of the pipes are straight. Not curved at the top. I was asking how they keep the water out of them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.