Straight Truck Axle Placement?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JDep88, May 25, 2024.

1. JDep88

JDep88 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2024
    Hey all,
    I'm a local delivery driver (Class A and B). About a year ago my company purchased new tandem axle straight trucks, but someone didn't do their homework and when fully loaded they are overweight on the front. Their solution was to place pallets in the front of the box to fill space and keep the front axle under weight. Recently they have began moving the rear axles forward to better balance the weight. But they are moving them very far forward and we have just recently had several drivers clip parked vehicles with tail swing. Several other drivers have complained about excess tail swing and not being able to get into alleys and driveways since the axles have been moved. Is there a limit on how far away from the tail of the truck the rear axles can be? The only info I've been able to find relates to combination vehicles. Thanks for any info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Tail swing is easier to manage on a straight truck, but I still hate it.

I’d personally rather have had the steer beefed up.

W923 Thanks this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    a straight truck with movable axles?

5. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    normal placement is 2/3 of the box ahead of center of axle, and 1/3 behind

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think he either means they’re having a shop do it or changing the specs on trucks they order.

Numb Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How much overweight up front? Sounds like someone should have spec'd a heavier steer axle.

W923 Thanks this.
  8. JDep88

JDep88 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2024
    They have been going to the shop a few at a time and having the tandems moved forward.

Numb Thanks this.
  9. JDep88

JDep88 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2024
    That is about where they were when ordered. Now they have almost a 50/50 split. Is there regulation on how far forward they are allowed to be? Or as long as the truck can pass the scale it doesn't matter?

10. JDep88

JDep88 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2024
    I'm not sure on the number. It was some corporate dummy that doesn't understand the actual job. They bought longer trucks to load us with more cases, but joke was on them because we had to burn the first 4 feet of the box because of weight. Trucks ended up being shorter because of wasted space. Now I guess they want that space back, and a bunch of guys are getting mad. I said I'd look into if their adjustments were legal amd that's why I'm asking. I cant find any info on regulations of axle placement for straight trucks.

11. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It won't be in FMCSA regs, at least not that I remember ever running across. Do some googling in FMVSS.

JDep88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.