Strange or bizarre tips for drivers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Oct 25, 2007.

1. 97 Ford Aeromax 550Det

97 Ford Aeromax 550Det Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Indiana
    Stop leaving full plastic gallon jugs of pee at Rest Areas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bgdaddy06

bgdaddy06 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Barstow,CA
    Thanx alot everyone for the great advise,keep up the good work!!!!

4. 97 Ford Aeromax 550Det

97 Ford Aeromax 550Det Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Indiana
    STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Driving thru TS parking lots with your headlights on. If you cant see THERE, I would hate to see you out on the road.
    - Harrassing newbies on this website, let me.:biggrin_25520:
    - Taking Hollywood Showers when theres 20 Drivers in the lounge waiting with #'s(they smell like they need one MORE than you).
    - Asking for Smokie Updates every 3 miles(you can practice in the parking lot).
    - If your gonna break the law and sell your Company fuel to a O/O, AT LEAST dont do it wheres theres cameras ya dumb^^^. Most thieves do it in a high legal speed limit state and tell dispatch "Sorry my MPG went from 8 down to 5, running heavy and 70"(for certain companies, that be downhill)(gr8...gavem an idea now).
    - Dont try and keepup with a Peterbilt, they dont like to hear grown drivers cry in the distance.

CanadianVaquero Thanks this.
  5. Dutched

Dutched Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Amsterdam
    I guess your grandpa can consider himself quite lucky that his truck never burned down then. Or well, in those days trucks didn't contain as much stuff that could burn, nowadays anything you touch is a potential inferno.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Sorry driver, they can't be turned off. Lights on for SAFETY!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  7. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I have run into this problem a couple of times in the past; I will hook to an older trailer at a customer and find that the tandem slide pins will not retract. Apparently the slide mechanism can break over time and pulling the draw bar does no good. The solution I came up with (to get my axle weights legal) was to buy 4 pairs of vice grips.

Use them in the following manner; Climb Under the trailer and manually push each pin inside the rail with a long, heavy duty screw driver, then lock each pin in the retract position with 1 vice grip. Repeat this procedure for each of the four locking pins. Then slide the tandem as needed. Once you get the axle weights legal simply remove the vice grips and the spring loaded locking pins will pop into place.

Using this technique has kept me out of the truck stop shop, allowed me to deliver my load on time, and has saved the company money. Of course once I get to a company repair facility or get the trailer empty I will down the trailer for repairs so the next driver doesn't have a problem.

scatruck Thanks this.
  8. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

Actually you are referring to DDL's or "Daytime Driving Lights." These lights are controlled by a fuse and the fuse can be removed to stop this feature. The headlights will still work with the normal switch.

Of course many companies have prohibitions against their drivers "tampering" with company equipment so best to ask the company shop to remove the fuse for you.

97 Ford Aeromax 550Det Thanks this.
  9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Yeah that's what I meant.

And yes the company has an anti-tampering policy

And no, the shop mechanics can barely FIX what you ask them to, they sure as heck won't be a party to sabotage. (Not even for a case of beer!)

10. Larz

Larz Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Just be careful guys if wearing shorts and using the beads, rips the hairs out of your legs, though I guess that will keep you awake. LOL.

11. Jack Smithton

Jack Smithton Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    so cal
    Here is what works for me:

Eat raisins or nuts, one at a time.

Slap yourself.

Best ever - Make sure nobody is around - Then slam on the brakes real hard - Scares the #### out of me, even though I knew it was coming.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.