Straps inside rubrail or out?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by kubotaorange76, Dec 17, 2011.

1. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    i know the law....straps must be inside rubrails....but how about old steel trailers not designed for this?

my 94 fontaine is all steel...strap hooks just barely fit through rubrails if they are not bent...some straps i use wont fit at all....and if rails are bent a little....forget it. My biggest concern is the way i have to hook them on the bottom of the channel iron...its obvious the strap hooks and the trailer werent designed to be hooking them there by the taper of the channel iron....because its almost impossible to keep the hooks from falling off before i tighten them, and after i tighten the straps i have to walk down the side and bump each hook with my bar to keep make sure the hooks are on as far as they can go and not bending or about to pop off. Im trrying to comply with the law but i feel its unsafe as this trailer was designed to have the straps hooked on the rubrail?

Anyone have an opinion or fact on this? I think im going to get my vin # and call fontaine to see if i can get something in writing one way or the other...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You could hook the strap on the rub rail and then thread the strap through the inside of the rub rail and be compliant. You don't need to be able to put the hook through the rub rail. I have seen some who don't have a rub rail or put straps on the outside of the rub rail. But, I would not take a chance. The only way that I will put a strap on the outside of the rub rail is because the load is wider than the rail and that is the only way to secure the load. If you happen to have your straps on the outside of the rub rail and run across a scale where the scalemaster knows something about securement you could get a ticket. Personally, I don't think it is worth the risk.

SHC Thanks this.
  4. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I thought that was one of the stupidest things the DOT ever did was change that law where we could not hook our straps to the rub rail or go outside of the rail if the load was wide. That just showed we had people making rules that never worked in the industry or never got out from behind a desk to do their homework. I argued with a New Mexico DOT officer one day about this and when it was all said and done he told me to get on down the road because I was giving him a headache, I guess I was more stubborn then he was.

On the trailer I was pulling I could not hook the straps to anywhere but the rub rail. I had a sliding rail for my winches on both sides and could not hook the strap to that. He said hook them underneath to the beams I said I can't because my hooks are not big enough and even if they were I would not do it. The reason being what happens if a car runs into you or you run over something and it cuts your strap, what if your strap comes loose and the hook slides out and swings out and hits someone or something. I have always rapped the hook side around my rub rail. If it does come loose it is going anywhere. I would see drivers run their strap all the way underneath the trailer and hook them that way and still see it down today, that is so dumb and dangerous, I am glad they changed that rule a few years back.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Some rules may sound good in principle, but don't work so well in the real world. These people will see a single incident and then decide that they need to make a law or rule that will prevent this thing from happening again. Regardless of how many laws or rules they make, there is absolutely no way to make things 100% safe or secure. It would be much better if they actually had people who do the work to try their new rules before they enact them. Some of them are simply unrealistic. Some can actually make the situation worse and less safe or secure.

Big John Thanks this.
  6. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    i printed everything i posted above out to keep with me when dot tries to harass me...im also trying to contact fontaine to find out where they designed the straps to be hooked on this model trailer

7. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    It would be kinda hard to put the straps o the inside of a Western Trailer, they dont have rub rails.
    [​IMG]

8. Big John

Big John Road Train Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Wilson use to build theirs with no rub rail the floor was solid all the way across. SMX trailers were that way.

9. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    That's too much reading for me right now, but I'm sure if you've taken the time to read up on the current laws you'll find that you CAN in fact have your straps on the outside of the rails now. HOWEVER, if there are any signs of chaffing, they can "discount" that strap.

10. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    I always run my straps under the rubrail just because I like my rails to stay nice and straight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.