straps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by ford06, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ford06

ford06 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2017
    chain hook straps vs flat hook straps is one better to use than the other do they wiegh the same does one store away better is one easier to us than the other thanks

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    A lot of it depends on how the trailer you are using them with is equipped. Most of the time, flat hooks are preferred. Chain hook straps are heavier. If you carried 20 straps or so, it could add some to your empty weight. Throwing them over the load isn't any different because you dont throw the chain end. Chain hooks are definitely harder to stow away, IMHO.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    ford06 and cke Thank this.
  4. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    I carry some chain hooks straps for certain loads that require the strap to run over a certain part of the load(ac units,boxed freight that u only can strap at the corner)sometime u cant position flat hook straps where u want them.
    Also when i haul too high and too wide loads just hook the chains to each other and voila i have a long enough straps to tie down the load.

Mudguppy, ford06 and MrEd Thank this.
  5. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Alot of trailers it's difficult if not impossible to get the j-hooks thru the rub rail. If you're one of those drivers that don't bother running your hooks thru the rail, they'll work fine.

If however you care how your securement looks and take the time to run them inside the rail, the j-hooks esta no bueno.

6. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    If you cared what it looked like you would straighten the rails!

stwik and tony97905 Thank this.
  7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Depends on the wagon for me. Open deck? Flat hook and winch rack, no problem!

But I drag a Conestoga! I gots me then fancy J-Hook tracks spread out across the trailer!

In that case, I prefer chain hook straps and ratchets. They open up more options for throwing extra decrement onto my freight.

ford06 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.