Stress/depression from working at night?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JSanborn103, Apr 4, 2021.

1. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Good post, I know what you mean about thinking to much on the negative side. Ive been dealing with it myself for many years. Its easy sometimes when you wake up in the morning to have your thinking default to the negative instead of to the positive. So when this happens I try to remind myself to get back to thinking positive. One thing that helps me is cutting way back on my caffiene intake. When I was juiced up on two coffees, two energy drinks on a daily bases, my mind would race at night like a hampster running around the wheel in a cage.

The one thing I liked about trucking was I would get back on the road from hometime with alot of worries and my mind would start to clear after I would lay down some miles. And for all you drivers who can't wait to retire I would say I did that 4 years ago and was happier out there truckin. And my wife wishes I wouldn't have retired also, lol. Soooo, I still got my CDL and my Dot medical is up to date just in case!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Some phrases I try to remember:
    -Garbage in garbage out
    -Nothing to fear but fear itself
    -The power of positive thinking
    -Don't over think it
    -I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
    -Don't sweat the small stuff
    -This to shall pass
    Sometimes a man/woman thinks to much!
    As for night driving I hated it mainly because I could never sleep more then 2 or 3 hours during the day. Thats why I got out of pulling a refer.

Rideandrepair and JSanborn103 Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Your body makes tiny amounts of melatonin. Take big doses will quickly shut down your body melatonin maker. I found when I started taking melatonin I didn't know how much to take. When I take more I have nightmares and night sweats. Start with the lowest dose you can. You may also need it to sleep after you keep taking it for a long time.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I also struggle with being nocturnal. It's almost like the whole world wants to move on without you.

But in the beginning you are going to have those feelings. But also understand it's actually the very least stressful time to be awake, because everyone else is asleep. Most people get stressed out because of things other people do.

Give it a few months, driver. Give your body time to adapt before you make a full decision. Embrace the dark side. We have more fun.

lester, Rideandrepair and JSanborn103 Thank this.
  6. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Thanks for the advice everyone

This is a great way of describing it.

I actually worked nights for 2 years but that was only 6 hours a night, now that I just started doing 12 it’s way different. With 6 hours at night I still had a good amount of daytime to get out. Now I only see night and sleep during light. It’s like the world exists outside me and I’m not part of it. I didn’t even know it was Easter because I haven’t gone into a store other than Walmart in over a month. It’s kind of like doing OTR where those holidays just pass and go unnoticed

Rideandrepair and TravR1 Thank this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Use melatonin for about 2 weeks. It's not a sleep aid, but use it to help your brain sleep during the day. That's probably why you feel depressed, just because your brain hasn't learned to sleep correctly during the day.

JSanborn103 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I learned that my sleep was only a priority for me. If you only sleep when nobody makes demands on your time you will have a wreck at work or during your commute.

JerseyBarrierRacer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.