Struggling with backing, new driver.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jc3737, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Go to my trucking skills on YouTube. He has a video for every backing maneuver imaginable. The older videos have multiple camera angles, and the new videos are video game style. I've picked up some valuable tips from him.

Rocks and jc3737 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jc3737

jc3737 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I'm already watching them, thanks for letting me know.

4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Practice, practice and more practice. Pay attention how trailer patch changes when you have tandems set in different position.Trailer tail swing. Tractor nose swing. In some very tight places you need to move tandems back or forth to accomplish maneuver.
    G.O.A.L. G.O.A.L. G.O.A.L.
    . PXL_20210304_063639601[1].jpg

gekko1323 and Vampire Thank this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i only put in 48 years before i retired. i can assure you that right now, no one here can actually give you real world advice, cuz we ain't standing on the ground helping you. so it's all on "what you might do", rather than what you should do.

next, you have to be the one actually backing.

take your time, and for crying out loud, G.O.A.L......!!!!! several times if you have to.

like the others here, i have had to back into very tight places, i thought only a horse and buggy would get into, and here in New England, that IS the majority of the places we go to.

just because i had 48 years of backing, does not make me really better than you or the others.

it's just that 48 years, you learn each day, take nothing for granted, and G.O.A.L.....!

even my last job, driving thru Downtown Boston, in Chinatown and Southie, i GOT OUT AND LOOKED..!!

Badmon, jc3737 and Vampire Thank this.
  6. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Something I learned when I first started to make things easier. Grip the bottom center of the steering wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go.

Moving your hand to the left from the bottom center of the wheel (remember, you're turning the wheel to the right) will make your trailer turn to the left and vice versa.

Hell, when I learned, they made me park my 63 Cadillac to the left of the trailer and my Brougham to the right of the trailer. I made #### sure to GOAL (Get Out And Look) before destroying either one or damaging the trailer they were so nice to let me learn with.

I treat everyone else's rig, or even 4 wheeler for that matter like it's mine. I'm not too proud to get out and look, whether it be a spot, or an overhead I'm not sure about. Did I extend the stick and boom right to clear the tunnel? Sure as hell measured it.....but let me get out and check before I might scrape the fancy tin off the tunnel roof.

Best of luck to you. You'll get the hang of it with practice. As everyone said, you should be doing it, not the trainer. Hands on is the best way.

jc3737 Thanks this.
  7. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    One month isn't long,start worrying if you're still having problems in six months.
    When you have time practice at truck stops.

jc3737 Thanks this.
  8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Remember left is right and right is left when backing up and always GOAL.

jc3737 Thanks this.
  9. Ricky'sRig

Ricky'sRig Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2021
    It would be hard to explain in writing, I suggest watch tight alley docking videos for starter & further here we go I am also learning ;
    Driver side alley dock.
    - Pull vehicle forward & stop ensure there is minimum 5 feet gap between docked trailers & your vehicle.( means your trailer is perpendicular to docked trailers).
    - GOAL (Go out an look) make sure you have atleast One big foot step difference between tail of ur trailer & the space u need to turn in.
    - Once u reach to that point; turn steering wheel full right & keep reversing on very slow speed to the point ur trailer back wheels are locked. ( keep in mind this will have blind spot on ur right).
    - Once locked, steer full left & rotate once right without moving & then start reversing. At this point ur turning the back of ur trailer to align with parking slot.
    - You will notice ur trailer back tires are not rotating but ur back trailer turning clockwise.
    - The steer straight & keep reversing further more.
    - Stop, move slightly forward with steering straight.
    - Now, turn full left & keep reversing.
    U may have to pull forward one more time to align ur tractor & trailer ( so u can see both side walls of ur trailer)

10. barcaVnl

barcaVnl Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Snake out when you set up, by snake out i mean swimg right and then right with tractor so youll see left side of trailer. Dont lose left tail of trailer , dont over steer if you do youll end up chaising your trailer tail. Dont panic, dont rush who cares if another driver is waiting on you. When you panic amd rush you make mistakes.and like everyone said practice, practice and practice. Good luck

11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Some people just can’t get the concept or feel down as the where the tractor is or facing in relevance to the trailer

I have told some in the past. Get a toy tractor/ trailer and make up a little lot and see from above how you need to move around
    Plus you get to play with trucks again. Who wouldn’t like that!!

I had a guy back so close to my passenger side he was closing my mirror against the window
    No damage except a small razor like scratch
    I get out. Was in front of his tractor telling him how to turn the wheel. He would but then in his head it felt wrong and he would swing right back towards my truck

Finally told him to just watch me.
    He gets right in. The. Gets out and says he has 2 weeks experience and the trainer who trained him. 3 months
    So neither have been on snow yet and they’re out running around?

He offered to pay for the mirror but it wasn’t noticeable and I had already ordered a new truck so wasn’t a big deal and not noticeable unless you knew

Moral of the story is park next to the multi color ratty faded trucks

I did actually tell him that.

Gearjammin' Penguin and Harvy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.