Struggling with training for fuel delivery

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by merlensbox, Apr 23, 2017.

1. merlensbox

merlensbox Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Alright, so I am currently training with a company to haul fuel, I have been training for 3 weeks, and its only the past couple days that I have had anything resembling a system in place for dropping at the stations. I saw big improvement in performance since then. Last week I cross dropped 1200 gallons of premium into unleaded. thought i would be let go but wasn't. Learned a lesson and moved on. Then yesterday the trainer caught me as i had my hand on API valve about to start flow, I failed to clamp down the elbow and had it just sitting on top of the fill port. he caught me at right moment because i forgot to double check that connection. I also forget to use bucket during connect/disconnect a little too often.

The rack stresses me the heck out but I the stress causes me to do so much prep and double check that i essentially have no problems.

3 weeks in I am beginning to wonder if I can even do this. Am i too forgetful or mistake prone. My trainer has not let on that he doubts my ability, this #### is easy but I don't want to forget something crucial and cause a huge mess.

My confidence is a little shaky. I feel like if i only did local i would be learning through repetition more, but we often drive 3 or 4 hours unload and drive back then the trainer does a slightly shorter run and unload while i watch. Is my experience normal or am I just not cut out and should go back to a less dangerous cargo.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I have been seeing a lot of newb' training for gas hauling lately. I personally don't like the idea. I think there is just too much to learn first about operating a truck, much less through on top of that having to learn the in's and out's of the cargo. Seems like brain overload and a receipe for disaster. Jmo.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    There's a lot you have to know you should takes notes or ask your company if they have the instructions so when you go solo you can refer back to them.Sounds like you have a good trainer I would give it some more time.We all learn by our mistakes its when you keep doing the same mistakes over and over is when there's a problem.Give it a few more loads and study the instructions when you're on brk.

Ricco1689 and merlensbox Thank this.
  5. merlensbox

Aug 30, 2012
    the driving part I am acceptable as I have a few miles of driving experience since 2012. my eternal search for more money has brought me to hauling fuel. It is so easy to make a mistake on the loading and unloading. and that's where my doubts creep in. I really do not want to make the evening news for anything. anything.

DC818 and noluck Thank this.
  6. merlensbox

Aug 30, 2012
    the bucket i cant seem to remember consistently that kind of nags at me. simple step, seemingly unimportant. all i ever get are drops, nothing a diaper cant take care of. but all the steps are simple. like checking all the connections before starting flow. but that one could cause a little more than a few drops.

I will sit down and commit all the steps to paper in detail, that helped last week. lessons learned and experience so far will help make my notes better.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  7. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    You have to bring your A game every day. It pays better because of the extra work, stress, and knowledge. Nothing in life is free, you want more you gotta give more! If you want that higher dollar, pull your hat down and boots up. Do what it takes!

Ricco1689 and merlensbox Thank this.
  8. Ricco1689

Ricco1689 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NY
    Man, I would hope you're at least a little better than acceptable bomb hauling but good on you for snagging the gig. I don't know where you're at but I ran nyc/Long Island and just getting into and out of some of the stations required some skillful wheeling.

That being said, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Write down everything step by step and commit it to memory. Ground/scully/vapor/card/pin/trailer/account/product etc. Whatever your companies drop routine is, repeat it. Do the same thing at each and every drop. Over time, you'll develop your own within the guidelines.

In addition to the product tags on the valves, I wrote down on a small notebook my compartments and what they were loaded with. Normally I did that at the rack. Double, triple, quadruple check everything. Bucket as soon as you connect line to compartment. Tank fitting should be secure as soon as you put it on the pipe. Recheck every connection for tightness Trace your lines before you pull that lever. Take. Your. Time.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    What do you mean bucket

10. merlensbox

Aug 30, 2012
    a metal bucket is placed under the load/unload port on tanker to catch any drops/minor spills during connect/disconnect.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Those exp fuel haulers were once newbies.

slim shady Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.