Stryker 955 Channel Calibration

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Lowboy456, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi folks! I bought a Stryker 955 used about a month ago and so far I have really liked it. The only thing I haven't liked is having to have the squelch noisy to receive any distance at all. If I turn the volume down to where its not so disturbing and turn the scuelch to full noisy noisy I can actually hear Tripple Nickle talking on his base system in Michigan from Atlanta Ga where I'm at but he has a 4000 watt system. I can hear him if he turns it down to where hes only pushing 2000 watts.

Anyhow my issue is that channel 19 and 24 are both 27.185 and I haven't found a way to fix it.
    I have no channel 24 because of this and only discovered it yesterday at an asphalt plant that uses channel 24. I keep a backup radio with me at all times which is a cheap Cobra 19 for such occasions such as this and it saved my ##* yesterday.
    Starting at channel 23 through 30ish my channel frequencies are off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    You need the cable to hook the unit to your computer. Download the interface software from Stryker site. You can then change 24 to the correct frequency. The cable is proprietary so a regular USB cable won't work.

Don't hit the 'default' button. If you do that it will change all of the channels on the d-band back to 10m frequencies and you'll have to change them all

4. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion Timin770!
    It turns out a 3 button reset did the trick. That fixed ch20 thru ch35 frequencies all back to where they should be.
    This is the reset procedure I used How do I reset my SR-655HPC or SR-955HPC?

Timin770 Thanks this.
  5. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Ok sorry it's been a long time. I must have been fiddling with another setting on the computer and hit 'default' and I had to change all the D band freqs back to 11m. It's fun to have the cable tho and look around to see what settings you can tweak

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Coulda did a reset....Hold down all 3 buttons on the left then turn on the cb till it tells you its reset....Shouldnt change anything to take it outta band or nothing other than reset freq as of last settings..

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    The ant you choose depends on the trk you drive...An older classic style with a bunch of mirror arm brackets a wilson 2000/5000 type an even a big coiled type ant will work fine..
    If your in a cascadia then you need a top load much longer antenna..A good ex is the firestick or skip shooter 6'/7' antenna with the load coil yp top..Alot less reflect and much better range is possible

9. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    I drive a KW T 800 dump truck. I have metal mirror frames and aluminium doors but I ran a ground out there once when having issues with another radio. In that situation it didn't help as it was all in the Cobra 25 that I bought used hopped up on crack that didn't last in the end.

My buddy has a Road Pro Helical and Galaxy 99 and I can hear him farther out than any of the trucks with 2ft Firesticks like I'm using now.
    RoadPro 4.5 Air Cooled Helical Coil Center Loaded CB Antenna 1000 Watts

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Personally..I dont know anything of that antenna be it good or bad..Based on the link it looks like a cheap generic air cooled coiled ant.....
    If your running a basic untuned radio i would look for a taller fibreglass ant with tuneable tip..Something like a firestick or skip shooter(im partial to a ss)...Reason why i say that is cause you have what sounds to be a high mount position and a top loaded ant(as i mentioned)will be more efficient and give better range(assumeing you have good rf ground)I would shoot for atleast a 5ft ant and if you have to lean it foward 10-20 degrees to keep below 13'6" that will be fine...Look up the term "Bonding" re antennas..k0bg.com
    I would see if it helps to run a 8" length of braided ground strap to either side of door hinges..Not your basic electrical wire but the wode braided strap and see what all that does....Assuming your useing your own clamp(with bolts) on type ant bracket its most likely alumium,see if you can find stainless steel version and ss bolts/nuts to..Careful on some of those brackets,some have a plastic coating and will drive a fella to drink as to why ya cant.get good readings when tuning the ant...Now ant studs,they make a diff to....Forget all the chrome plated crap,they look pretty but thats it,they will pull apart,short out i would use the hd alumium looking one from wilson...
    All that will make a diff....A big diff even on a stock cobra..

11. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I have a situation now in which some of the controls seem frozen. I'm on D band channel 19 which I've used as 11m channel 19 for years but now 28.8900 is displayed on the FC. Flipping A thru E on the band selector has no effect. The 3-button reset does not work. Anybody seen this behavior before? I'm being driven back into the arms of my AT-6666 lol

****edit after powering down and taking a quick break, the 3B reset worked. Quite odd

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Reason for edit: Update
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.