Stuck in Phoenix, please help!

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by Jenny&Benny, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Jenny&Benny

Jenny&Benny Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello all.

I have family here in Phoenix Arizona that I've wanted to be around for awhile. I saw that JB hunt had a job opening here. I was hired on and took it. The job was for the "Final Mile" account. It was way more physically demanding than what I could handle. The job entailed lumping large appliances up and down stairs all day for anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. I'm not feeble but it was killing me.

So now fast forward and I'm in Phoenix, just moved here and have no job. Unfortunately there is a thing or two on my record that has prevented me from a lot of jobs. JB hunt was willing to work with it and take me on. I also cannot go OTR anymore due to my family and a few medical issues they have. I am a good truck driver, have been driving for about three years now in a variety of locations and circumstances. One thing I did for the longest time was Intermodal. I did it in Los Angeles and am very comfortable with it. I know my way around rail yards and distribution centers.

I was hoping to possibly run intermodal with JB here out of Phoenix. Unfortunately, Phoenix seems like some kind of Holy Grail when it comes to Intermodal. It seems like for the companies that are here that do Intermodal none of them ever have positions for it coming up here. I was hoping to make a contact, talk to some one or do something, some way to prove myself. I would be willing to do anything just to be here in Phoenix, drive a truck and get home every night. JB hunt has already qualified me, I went through their orientation and would love to stick with them as I know it's a good company to work for.

Can anyone please help me out? Some one to contact, talk to or get in touch with. I know where they are located here (by the BNSF railyard) would it be rude or weird of me to walk in and try to talk to some one?

Again, I'm experienced with Intermodal, I just moved to Phoenix for JB hunt in good faith and wasn't really told how physically demanding Final Mile would be, I couldn't keep up physically but I need to provide for my family and I'm beyond frustrated and broken down inside. I just want to work and I'm a truck driver through and through, I love driving a truck and am good at it.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Swift, Knight and Duncan all do intermodal-they are all located on the West side of Phx.

Sneakerfix and Jenny&Benny Thank this.
  4. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The confusion of J.B. Hunt continues.... I'm guessing you aren't paid hourly to bust your behind... How bad is your background you speak of? Did you look into Safeway out of Phoenix? They are Union and sometimes Union rules are a little different than most...

A lot come on here and say J.B. isn't bad but yet they are looking to move on? My head hasn't stopped spinning... Maybe its me...

Jenny&Benny Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There are 3 milk tanker companies in Phoenix. Don't remember the names.

Jenny&Benny Thanks this.
  6. Jenny&Benny

Jenny&Benny Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Swift already denied me. Knight claims they don't do local intermodal here, that the best they have would be going between Phoenix and Long Beach with a layover night in California and possibly going through Vegas. I've never heard of Duncan before.

My background is fine, I have a federal HazMat card, endorsement, Doubles, Triples, Tanker. My record is clean but I have a moving violation that I'm waiting for to fall off and it wasn't in a truck. In a few years it won't haunt me anymore but right now it really limits me. Most companies make a deal out of it but JB said it was no big deal and were happy to hire me... *shrug*

Thanks for the replies.

7. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Duncan is similar to Knight as far as running to Long Beach. Still wouldn't be home every night though. Try Northland Trucking in Phoenix, not sure if they have local. I know that they take people with a less than perfect background.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try the temp services:
    Centerline Drivers
    ProDrivers
    Drive United

Ruan may have some local.
    Amerigas
    Airgas
    M&P Transport Company
    Ferrellgas
    Arizona Milk Transport

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    scottlav46 and Jenny&Benny Thank this.
  9. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011

Ok, C'mon my friend... You posted it and I'm quoting it... One violation or ticket wouldn't prohibit you.... Fill out applications and be hired and move on....

10. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    And BTW you said a "thing or two".... You said 1 now whats 2 that your hiding?

11. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    You can't haul milk when still sucking it... He needs to fill the story in so he can be pointed in the right corner... One ticket won't be a deal breaker by any means

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.