Stuck running regional

Discussion in 'Swift' started by mil0ta, Oct 23, 2020.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    For me, the big question is "Am I making more money?"

For the last year I've been "helping out" on a dedicated account. After the first month, the account manager and I had a conversation about how I wanted to run. He was trying to give me the longer loads "to get me more miles", whereas I wanted to maximize my revenue, which meant running more, shorter loads.

The account is finally getting staffed up and I was offered a choice - transfer onto the account at the account's daily rate or go back OTR. The account was nice - M to F and I was averaging $1,700 a week, the downside is I had an average length of haul of less than 100 miles, hooking to an average of 7 trailers per day. If I'd transfered to the account I would have made $210 a day. It wasn't much of a choice and I'm going back OTR next week. I told the "fleet manager" that I don't care where I run, provided my income is where I expect it to be and I'm home when I want to be home.

I-95 may not be your ideal lane, but are you making more or less than if you were running "system" freight? If less, then get the f out. If more, does the additional income compensate the additional work? If not, GTFO.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    And that is true for many people out there.

For me, not so much.
    I would rather simply be doing something I enjoy doing.

Getting into the money grab game only gets you one place, as far as I'm concerned.
    Go for the money so you can have more stuff.
    Get more stuff and you need even more money to keep it up - or outdo it.

It is a never ending cycle of making more so you can get more when you put income as your first priority.
    And you will never be happy with what you have, because you always see an extra penny on the other side of the fence.

That, is a sad existence for a life.

dptrucker Thanks this.
  4. mil0ta

mil0ta Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2018
    The pay has so far been about the same. There is no difference in cpm. The route itself is the only downside with no upside on these loads (not even a plus to freight consistency as I’ve been laid over twice due to my assigned trailer getting picked up mistakenly before I arrived on-time to the ports).

Maybe others here will disagree but I find I-95 to be extremely stressful. I’ve had headaches every day and jaw problems which I never had when I only ran I-95 maybe once every month or two. I’m simply not handling the additional stress well. I’ve gotten used to just running more slowly through DC/Baltimore/Wilmington and Philly/South NJ which has helped with the stress aspect but in my eyes this is also essentially a tiny pay cut.

I will be calling my DM on Monday to ask for my OTR gig back and if he can’t help me I’m looking out the door. I haven’t had any issues with Swift or my DM/TM until this route was forced on me without my input. This is not even the first time this has happened. Moberly, MO Walmart sent out a call on the QC for help with Walmart dedicated stuff. I was happy to do that for about a week until I discovered my fleet code had been changed, thus excluding me from OTR loads entirely. My DM fixed it then but this time around he has already told me verbatim “we need drivers on this route and you go where we need you.” That one sentence is the main reason I haven’t talked to him about it again. But I’m not happy here so I’m going to have to call him again and just tell it from my point of view. Now I’m ranting and whining, sorry.

5. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    No, you are not.
    You are unhappy with what has been dealt to you, that is all.

But Swift needs you more than you need them, with your experience.

They can either get you back to what you like doing or they can lose you, simple as that.
    Either way, you will not remain in this lane of traffic.
    And that is what you must tell them.

With your experience, unless you have a bad record, you can go pretty much anywhere.
    So don't let them dictate the terms.

drh72 Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Listen to what moose said. As an employee your best leverage is your boots.

Swift hired you, because they need you. They don't want to lose you.

7. drh72

drh72 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Northeast Minnesota
    If you're reluctant to call your DM why are you working there? I would simply call him or her and straighten out, if they won't run you OTR like you were hired to do...well move on! Remember that they need you and they know you can be in the seat for another company by Monday. They will put you back OTR.

alds Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I disagree with this. They are putting 20 new people thru orientation every monday morning. They dont need anybody and they would not be afraid to get rid of anybody at a moments notice. All drivers at mega companies are disposable

mitrucker Thanks this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    That's the myth that everybody likes to but into ... If you're a good driver - on time, no tickets, no accidents - Swift and most megas will work with you to keep you.1

But if you're a liability, they're just like any other employer and will show you the door.

Moosetek13 and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  10. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    You have no business staying with not so Swift for 18 months. Wake up , grow up and get on with your life.

11. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    My 10 year anniversary is in 2 weeks.

Six9GS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.