Student Driver Wants to Work at KLLM!

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by The Gryphon, Nov 26, 2011.

1. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Any hints at how I can increase my chances of a job offer to drive for KLLM?

I'm a student driver starting driving school at a community college on Monday, 28 Nov. I'll graduate 23 Dec.

I have a clean background - no criminal history.

Only one ticket in the past 5 years. Speeding on my motorcycle - 85 in a 70 zone issued 26 Dec 2008. I'm told that it should "drop off" by 26 Dec this year.

No accidents ever.

I've passed the Tanker, Doubles and Triples, and Hazmat endorsement tests in addition to all of the standard CDL permit tests. Hoping the Hazmat background check will be complete by the time I graduate.

If so, I'll have a CDL with Tanker, Doubles and Triples and Hazmat endorsements at graduation.

My passport is being renewed now and I should have a current passport in hand by graduation.

Only credentials that I know of that I'll be lacking is a TWIC and FAST. TWIC should be easy after Hazmat background check is completed/reported and Hazmat endorsement granted. I'll have to travel a couple hours from my home to get a TWIC card, or I would have already applied. But I found out that the background checks are the same for both TWIC and Hazmat, so I'm waiting for the Hazmat to come back so I can maybe save a little time/money on the TWIC.

I have submitted an application via the KLLM website.

What more can I do/provide to them to increase my chances of an offer from them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
  4. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    No, but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket and getting my heart set on one place.

I have my 4 top choices, so far as: Roehl, KLLM, Conway, Stevens in no particular order.

I hope that I'll get an offer from all of them and have to decide among them.

Not sure which one I'd pick at this point, any suggestions? Anyone that I should add to the list to complete the "Top 5"?

5. Boomer08

Boomer08 Light Load Member

May 26, 2010
    I am not sure there is anything else you can do. I was at conway and they are a pretty good company. I left after a couple months due to family issues. KLLM said that all I had to do was come to orientation and go out with a trainer. No refresher. But that was a recruiter talking too. There website says that I need to be fresh out of school, not past 30 days. I tuess I need to call back and double check. I don't want to get down there and then they send me home.

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Do you plan on having a pulse when you show up?

As far as I know. That would be about the ONLY thing that would prevent you from getting on with KLLM.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Out of those i would recomend KLLM, just dont lease a freakin truck (and if you do please to come on here and cry about it after)

As for other companies, Watkins Shepard should be on that list as well. It would be the most physical job out of the 5 companies, require the most amount of skill, but also pay almost twice as much (yearly gross income, not cpm)

American Trucker

The Gryphon Thanks this.
  8. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    I hear that Watkins-Shepard is great and they're less than 20 miles from my home. But I heard that they don't start you out with a trainer and that scares me a little. I want to ride/drive with someone with experience for awhile and have them "show me the ropes".

I went to their site early on and liked what I saw, but someone said that they haven't updated their site to show that they no longer have a school, etc. So, I'm wondering what else there is out of date.

Please do tell me more about them and your experience with them and dispel the rumors! :biggrin_2559:

9. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

I told you its out of date yesterday. All the info on there is still valid except for the info on the school. And yes its true we do not have trainers here.

Here's my blog/thread about my experiance with them 390 pages, 3,891 post, and almost 160,000 views:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...22237-my-experiance-with-watkins-shepard.html

American Trucker

The Gryphon Thanks this.
  10. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    That's right! It was you who told me that there are no trainers there!

Thanks.

I just really don't want to hop in a truck and hit the road by myself right out of school. I'm sure they wouldn't let me out in their equipment if they didn't think I could handle it. But I really want someone to show me the ropes instead of having to try to pick things up on my own and potentially developing bad habits due to not knowing any better.

Maybe after I get some experience somewhere with a trainer, huh?

That is, unless you have room in your truck for a roomie for a couple of months! :biggrin_2559:

11. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

i could train, but my last day here is this comeing wensday lol

American Trucker

Dhall88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.