Student/Mentor horror stories

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by highway666, Mar 4, 2018.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Guilty until proven innocent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

[​IMG]

Sirscrapntruckalot - That got awkward fast.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had one trainer who was very good. The radio was the issue. When I slept I hear heavy metal. That of itself was not the issue, just the volume and so on. You think with me being deaf it's not a problem. Well... I had unshackled on through the night for my part (Christian Radio program dealing with people in difficulty because of sins etc)

After about the third week, he says, what are we gonna do with that #### radio. I asked him what's matta don't you like it I am a Christian, what are you then? He said that he was a Hellion.

After we finish laughing, we organized the radio simple. The sleeper had it's own controls in those days and so we sorted out how the speakers were set up, equalized, volume etc etc etc. So at times we had righteous on one end of the tractor and hellraising on the other end. It was fun. But not a conflict it was once.

I ran into him years later in Harrisburg, he inspected my tractor to be sure it's clean as he likes it. His wife was with him and not able to take company that evening, but the tractor was relatively clean what with the gravel off the boots got swept quickly.

To this day I maintained a clean vehicle with everything stowed. So when you hit a bad bridge approach deck and slam it it does not go all over the place and make a mess.

It was a interesting situation to be sure and I'll miss him. Sometimes you have a trainer that makes you a better driver and not just a grubby one either. He picked up on my fear of mountains which was still present so several weeks with him was more mountain school. And how starting with US 322 near State College. 3 feet of powder with people in the ditch with the megas back then and we are running it barefoot with no problem. (Me and my heart was something else though what with the BP and stress at the time...) but eh.. life is like that sometimes.

To this day in October I'll go to the shop boss and say I need 5000 dollars in new tires on all 10 positions of that bobtail for winter. Every year. I get 10 put on. That mountain is the reason I did it from that day to this. If your tires are top notch anything is possible.

5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    When I watch that video, the drivers really embody what a truck driver should be IF : staying true to the game is more important than pre-trips; being mistaken for a rival gang because of your colors is of utmost importance; if a rap battle was to break out in a drivers lounge; and finally, if being funky fresh is a DOT requirement.

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I was a trainer and my first student found a dress so he said, and wanted to see if it would fit him. It was just his size what a surprise. That was kinda funny just because I never knew a cross dresser before.

I had a student that was afraid to cross bridges. I also has a student piss in the driver's seat. He had a weak bladder I guess. I just figured everyone would stop if they had to piss. It never crossed my mind it was something I had to talk about with a new driver.

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    It must be something about you that made students feel free and “just let it all go”.

Woodys and Brandt Thank this.
  8. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Can’t say cross dresser anymore lol it’s “transgender” ;)

Brandt Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I should have said he pissed himself in the driver's seat. Going in a piss jug would have been better.

10. wise2727

wise2727 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I had a rough time with my trainer. While he was an amazing driver, he was an awful teacher. Starting with my second day driving he went into the Sleeper Berth for 6 hours each day. With the exception of 1 time all of my backing training was while he was in the truck stops or restaurants. I essentially had to teach myself. It also didn't help that we were very different people, absolutely no common ground at all. He didn't want to answer my questions because he said I shouldn't already know those answers from truck driving school. I didnt.

11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    my werner trainer listened to back street boys, Britney spears ect ect aweful gargabe 1990's pop "music". sadly he did not even know who led zepplin, the who, or pink flyod is. must have been living under a rock, not everyone listens to classic rock i get that, but you should at least know who they are.

he also smoked virgina slims like they were going out of style. #1 tired of smelling cigarettes, i used to smoke but i vape now i really dont want to smell it anymore. #2 his choice of cigarettes is just weird.

he wore the same kind of hair accessories and sprayed himself with the same body spray my wife uses. this guy was just weird. i was glad to be done with him.

i finished my 270 hours on his truck went home for a week and decided not to go back. i could have taken an assigned truck, instead i found a local company that was willing to give me shot. i was driving a day cab less then a month later which is all i have driven since. daycabs and dump trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.