Stupid auto shift or stupid driver.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Chewy352, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Truck is a 2016 prostar with an Eaton fuller ultrashift plus.

I was heading north on the west Virginia toll road today just south of the first toll booth. I was in a steep climb 3 lanes of traffic and I was in the far right lane and there really is no shoulder to speak of in this area. It drops off pretty quick.

I've tried auto and manual and auto seems to do better climbing until 6th gear then manual works better. Once it hits a good climbing gear I switch it to manual to lock it in gear.

So I was in 8th and about 35 mph and dropping. When it reached approximately 1200 rpms I started thinking what the heck I would have shifted already so I switched to manual and down shifted and I get a beep f you from the truck and it stays in 8th. I tried again and same thing. No shift. I switched it back to auto and still no downshifts. Eventually I lost all momentum and came to a halt with nowhere to go.

Once stopped I tried to get going again in auto, manual, and low and got nothing. I happened to see several near misses in my mirror as I and other drivers were hollering warnings over the cb to the 1 percent of drivers that still use them.

Then I tried shutting the truck off and restarting it and that did the trick and got me going. The rest of the trip everything worked fine. I drove 68 in Maryland the other day and I didn't have any issues.

What thoughts do you have? What might have happened?

This my first week in this auto and I'm not impressed. It likes to go up to 1900 rpms on some shifts and down to 1000 on others.

I'm thinking I didn't wait long enough for it to shift but I'm not ruling out driver error at all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not sure how this is possible. Automatics are supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Your story is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

4. Chewy352

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I'm not convinced I didn't scew up. At least with a manual I can keep selecting lower and lower gears.

I don't have all my data yet but I think I'm still averaging about 6.5 mpg with this fancy auto.

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    sounds like a hiccup..... some times if you switch from auto to manual to auto to manual to close together it will get stupid and forget what mode it's in.

most auto's will in "AUTO" mode under a pull (rpm's going down) at around 1,350 will take a downshift, no need to go to manual just hit the downshift, same is true if the rpm's are over 1,550 you can upshift without going to manual mode

Chewy352 Thanks this.
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    My truck was born with an auto but its a distant nightmare now, swapped in manual.

Darn thing will mess up at the worst possible times. There were a few times I swore the tranny would have fallen out it banged into gear so hard.
    If you run it in manual don't forget to shift down up hills. Maybe you lugged it to hard and it couldn't get out of gear?!?

Chewy352 Thanks this.
  7. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    I am driving a KW with that transmission. i don't have any ideas on your
    specific problem. I am in this truck for 4 months and I absolutely hate
    this transmission. I do a lot of off road work and this thing is horrible.
    It wont shift when it is supposed to, when you need it to stay in one
    gear it shifts. Sometimes it just plain wont shift at all. Say I take off
    going downgrade, it wont shift at all. It wont skip gears either.

We recently leased a Penske Freightliner. I like that transmission
    much better, not sure exactly which one it is. Has the shift buttons
    on the right side of the steering column on a plastic lever. Pull
    the lever up or down to shift manually.

The boss says they have a manual coming that I will have
    a chance at getting into. I used to think KW was a good truck
    but after driving this disaster of a transmission I am not so
    sure. I shifted my own gears for ten years and I am ready
    to start doing it again.

Dave_in_AZ, Lepton1 and Chewy352 Thank this.
  8. Chewy352

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I think that's what eventually happened. I don't know why it waits so long to shift. Next time I'm mountain driving I'll try to set up a camera so I can get video of the gauges.

9. Diggler

Diggler Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Jax
    Switching between manual and auto that quickly can hiccup the sensors. When mine starts doing that I stop and flip the master power and it resets the brain. It is annoying but if you stayed manual always, or auto always It lessens the chance of those hiccups.

roll_tide07 and Chewy352 Thank this.
  10. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Just a bad moment, Mack. His experience doesn't condemn the entire automatic technological world. Of course, he'd never have had this issue with an Eaton-Fuller - unless it froze up in a gear, of course.

11. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    This is why a manual is still ahead of an auto. I'd rather select a gear than have a computer do it for me

91D250, Dave_in_AZ, sliver and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.