Stupid Question: Not For Hire?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dr. Balbarian, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Dr. Balbarian

Dr. Balbarian Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Ohio
    I have been looking high and low for answers, and can’t find anything solid for my specific situation.

A good family friend is selling their Kenworth, beautiful truck, absolutely loved and cared for, I have been wanting a good truck for hauling my own cars I buy from other states. So i’m thinking of trying to buy it.

I live in Ohio for reference if that means anything.

I will eventually be getting a business license and will sell rare and unique cars, but for now, I just want a truck to haul my 8 car trailer. I will only haul my own vehicles, and will not be doing commercial contracted work with the truck. Even when I get my business licensed I will only use the truck for the company.

Will a “Not for Hire” sticker be sufficient to drive the truck with a trailer or without? Will I need to register it as an RV? Does it become a CMV if I use it for my own business?

I have tried to find this info everywhere, but nothing lines up with my situation.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If all the cars is titled in your name only and the rig and trailer is titled in your name personally rather than company of any kind... well it's not for hire.

The moment you have company anything then you need a MC, DOT etc.

NOT for hire applies to you, but you will not be able to just get away with that simple label or dab of paint anymore things have changed.

What you can do is call your State's Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Board and ask them straight up. They should be more than happy to spend 5 hours educating you proper than writing tickets all day because you did not ask anyone.

Some cars today is like 100K here 150K there 80 over yonder etc. Even my old heaps if i kept them would have fetched 20K on up as is.

Dr. Balbarian Thanks this.
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    As x1 said, hauling your personal vehicles around won't require it being licensed as a commercial vehicle. You start a business and use it for the business, yes, CDL and all the required commercial numbers, insurances, permits, etc are required.

Dr. Balbarian and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    I drove through multiple states with my truck and trailer and a load of personal belongings including a car. I questioned my concerns to state DOT and they cleared out few things to me. I printed out response just in case but never needed it.

- You’ll need regular state registration and insurance.
    - You don’t need commercial insurance, if you use it for personal purposes.
    - “Not for hire” doesn’t do anything.
    - No any kind of marking needed on the truck other then regular license plate. You are not part of IRP or IFTA, if you don’t haul commercially.
    - You’d have to go into weight stations, even don’t pull commercially.

You may have difficulties to explain leo that you use your 8 space trailer to haul 8 of your personal vehicles.

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    you dont need an mc number if you are hauling your own stuff or in state agricultural products for hire , a dot number may be , I live in Ohio and its really hard getting answers to questions like that from state officials i have a straight truck that I use to haul farm produce and I dont need a mc but do have a dot number but I occasionally go out of state .and I have both on the semis because I haul frieght . I actually stopped and asked at a state Highway patrol office to find out what I needed because they are the inforcers and I suggest you stop in and talk to them

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    They will consider it a cmv if you have any attention of making one penny off of a car, weather you do or not.

Tb0n3 and AlexanderK Thank this.
  9. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I would just tell him, 'I'm a baller it's just how I roll'

feldsforever Thanks this.
  10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If you are buying and selling the cars on the trailer you will need all the commercial insurances and a cdl license and because your traveling out of state ( I assume) a US dot #.
    In the above situation you would be no different then any other used car dealer who buys and sells cars and does all there own transportation with there own truck and doesn’t do any outside hauling.

Now if you own and have titled to you personally all eight cars on the trailer and you travel only to car shows or such for your own purposes ( not buying and selling) you might be able to get away with a little less expense.

I will say if you take the private I own all the cars personally approach be prepared to be hassled at every dot scale facility and also be prepared to have in hand all the title documents proving what you are saying.

Tb0n3, Cabinover101 and Dr. Balbarian Thank this.
  11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I had a 53 foot race trailer. I had not for hire on the front. Never went into scales or got chased down in 5 years. To qualify as an RV that truck has to have a shower and stove. You are still going to pay a hefty insurance rate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.