Subsidized training school? Or just hire with a Mega?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mtugglet, May 19, 2019.

1. Mtugglet

Mtugglet Bobtail Member

May 18, 2019
    St. Louis, MO
    So, I have a class B from when I used to drive a school bus. I had to quit that job (which I loved) b/c we moved states, but I kept my CDL, I'm just not using it currently. I have a part time job in customer service now, (which I also love), but the pay is not great and, part-time. I have a retired mother and a 15 year old son, so ideally, I would like to stay close to home (St. Louis), but I understand and am prepared to put in a year or two doing OTR as long as I get to be home 1 week a month. I have a mountain of student loan debt, so outright paying for a training school isn't an option. So questions: Should I go to the local training school (160 Driving Academy) which offers subsidized training- Basically they match you up with a company which pays for your training and then you are contracted to work for them for 1 year? Or just go ahead and sign on with a company for training? What are the best endorsements to get for the most lucrative return on my investment of time and energy? And what companies should I be looking at? Thank y'all for your experience and help!
    Oh, also, I see a lot of "Earn up to...!!!" How much should I realistically expect to make in my first year?
    And are most truck drivers employees or 1099?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Why not haul concrete locally?

4. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    Here is my input, some others might disagree. Most new truck drivers are not working on a 1099 as a private contractor. To me, that is a disaster waiting to happen for a new driver. With a ton of debt, you are going to be working for some time before you can start paying that off. Get all your endorsements right up front. You might not need them, but is sure doesn't hurt and it doesn't cost much extra to get them.
    Many will disagree with this statement also, but as a first year OTR driver with no experience, I am going to estimate you can make around 40 to 43K. But if you must have a full week off every month, hitting that 40K a year mark as a new driver might be tough. Good Luck.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get all the endorsements; every one of them.
    160 might fix you up with something local with Schneider. www.schneiderjobs.com will show what's available in St. Louis area. One woman that used to post on here went to 160 in St. Louis and got a local, home every day job pulling flatbeds.
    For company sponsored schools, look at FFE (Frozen Food Express) that trains in Chicago Heights. www.ffeinc.com
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com trains in Joplin and has an excellent reputation.
    Western Dairy Transport - www.wdtmilk.com trains in Missouri.

Mtugglet Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Fry-Wagner Moving & Storage in St. Louis hires Class-B and Class-A drivers. Probably has local and regional. Class-A probably running more OTR.
    upload_2019-5-18_23-31-15.jpeg [​IMG]

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Mtugglet Thanks this.
  8. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    Find you a community college that has commercial truck driving school. It's a lot cheaper with better training

9. pank83

pank83 Light Load Member

May 19, 2011
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    See if you qualify for WIOA. Thats what I did.

10. Mtugglet

Mtugglet Bobtail Member

May 18, 2019
    St. Louis, MO
    Thank you for the advice, everyone. I'm kinda leaning towards R.E. West. I will let y'all know which I decide in the end and how it all goes.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Best wishes, and yes, try to keep us posted on your progress.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.