Sudden SWR spike

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by GGALLIN1776, May 6, 2023.

1. GGALLIN1776

GGALLIN1776 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2023
    Any ideas as to what can cause off the charts SWR inside a radio?

I tried about five different antennas (from "Lil' Will" to a 1/8 wave 102"), some various lengths of coax & rolling back the mic/power all the way.

On my new meter they're all pegged out, tried the old one & it ranges from 5-10, lowest I could get bordered on 3 but rose quickly.

This is a mobile set up as a base, I'm pretty much limited to a magnet mount atop an a/c unit (not currently on, just plugged in for some form of grounding)roughly 15' away. There is brick separating the two but I'm not too sure that makes a difference as I get skip from 3k miles away on an indoor antenna.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Ditch the magnet mount and get a base station antenna.

GGALLIN1776 and Timin770 Thank this.
  4. GGALLIN1776

Mar 7, 2023
    Wish I could, the landlord would probably impale me with it.

5. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Ah, got it. Years ago when I was renting, I tried a base antenna like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Tram-1499-CB...id=1683667252&sprefix=cb+base+,aps,162&sr=8-5

The antenna is only 3 feet tall, but it did work, at least better than a mobile mag mount. The good part was I mounted the antenna on the edge of the peak of the house. Being low profile, the land lord never said a thing. Too bad Avanti still doesn't make the Astro plane antenna, it was a small light weight antenna that worked really good. It was popular back in the 70's.

RigPix Database - Antennas - Avanti AV-101 Astro-plane

GGALLIN1776 Thanks this.
  6. GGALLIN1776

Mar 7, 2023
    That Tram should do the trick, thanks! I could probably get away with putting a direct tv or space internet sticker on it, guy likely won't figure out.

I've been trying to find one from what I'm guessing was made in the 80s, nostalgia purposes as it was my first setup. It was roughly 20' - 25' of fiberglass & baby blue of all colors.

Granted I was using it during the peak of sun cycle 22 when I could reach Denver from CT with some regularity on a radio shack handheld at night but that thing was nicely made.

That was a surefire way to get made fun of in high school, carrying around a cb

7. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Lol.....my experience was a little different. My mom had a fabric paint set and she surprised me one day when I got home from school. She painted a picture of my Cobra Cam 89 and super sidekick mic on the back of my jacket. I was actually kind of proud of that jacket, until some of the kids started yelling hey night stalker, breaker breaker night stalker. It didn't take long for me to think hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all, ha. I never did tell my mom that the kids at school were making fun of my love for CB radio because of that jacket.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Crude Truckin' and GGALLIN1776 Thank this.
  8. GGALLIN1776

Mar 7, 2023
    Oh jeez, yea that'll do it! Cool that she supported the hobby though.

I got and still do get the "breaker breaker" jabs but comes with the territory I suppose.
    Oddly enough when girls came over they were thrilled to use the base station. Give them a silly handle & suddenly that became their nickname.

My parents were not happy with my new hobby from day one freshman year. A classmate sold me my first rig for $20 (a tuned up rs variant radio, micronta supply, turner +3, swr meter & the fiberglass mast....talk about a deal!). My dad showed up from work, "Get that off of the property!"
    Words were exchanged, in the end I prevailed.

Downside was the random trespassers cutting my coax & the weirdos offering some free extra equipment that they didn't need (showed up with nothing but themselves, being in their 40s-50s trying to get in the house....made me stop giving my 20) freaked me out but there were more nice folks than weirdos so nearly 30 years later still keying away.

9. KI4TVD

KI4TVD Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2023
    This is a mobile set up as a base, I'm pretty much limited to a magnet mount atop an a/c unit (not currently on, just plugged in for some form of grounding)roughly 15' away. There is brick separating the two but I'm not too sure that makes a difference as I get skip from 3k miles away on an indoor antenna.[/QUOTE]

Take it off of the brick and slap it straight onto the A/C unit. The SWR will improve a bit. A magnet mount antenna needs to be on metal.

10. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Lol, oh my, if I had girls wanting to come over because of my Cobra Cam 89 base station and my sexy Super SideKick microphone, I would of really loved the CB hobby even more. Ha. Wow you got the deal of the century to get all that gear for $20. I always gave the name of the town that I lived in if anyone asked for my 10-20. Unfortunately there are always weirdos around, but for the most part people were decent back then.

GGALLIN1776 and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. GGALLIN1776

Mar 7, 2023
    It was hard to believe even when seeing it with my own eyes, could've been excitement over a new experience & all the lights.

I may have mentioned it before but one took the handle "corn nugget", saw her years later & wanted to get right back on the radio with the same name. Her husband was kinda shocked to say the least.

Absolutely The deals that popped up as people started going with "unlimited nights & weekends starting at 23:00" were fantastic.
    The best was one that I couldn't take full advantage of as I completely filled my car & could only make one run. Back when bargain news/cl listings could still be trusted, I saw an ad that said "CB/HAM radios $25."

He didn't mean each, he meant everything in his entire collection filling every nook & cranny of his home, from base to unopened handheld "help" models, all variety of antenna/mounts & coax, boxes of mics.

Had I known what to really look for at the time (in my naivety I assumed Cobra was tops), the superstars & rangers, etc would have come with me. Didn't even know about SSB then.

Also turned down the HAMs as I didn't know you could run one unlicensed providing you didn't transmit.

Such a good deal that I'm still kicking myself Odds of finding something like that again, man if it happens a second time I might actually buy a lottery ticket with that sort of luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.