Suggestions for a daycab tool bag...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I used to have a tool bag when I had a sleepover and was running regionally. it's been awhile since I packed one for a daycab. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want to throw in it, but if anybody can think of anything I'm forgetting, please pipe up. of course, keep in mind that I'm dealing with a day cab with limited space inside, and I usually can get service within a couple hours. I would like everything to pack in one of my smaller tool bags that I have at home. I figured a couple crescent wrenches for fifth wheel adjustments, a wrench for brake adjustments if necessary, a Phillips screwdriver, spare fuses, electrical tape, zip ties... anything else I may be forgetting?

G13Tomcat and skellr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Vice grips, tie wire, small pry bar, small sledge hammer, flashlight/work light screwdriver with bit set for various bits. Duct tape.

Might not need everything. Pick and choose what would come in handy for you.

ChevyCam, I glide 47 and JReding Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, a pair of crecent wrenches that can open wide enough to replace a gladhand. Spare gladhand seals.

Maybe a tire plug kit and an electrical test probe to track down a wiring short?

G13Tomcat and JReding Thank this.
  5. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Probably not the tire plug kit. If I get that, then I'll need an air hose, and I don't have room for one in here. I just call in for road service for the tire, if I can't get to a shop on my own.

I'll probably pick up an extra meter from Harbor Freight, good idea.

G13Tomcat and skellr Thank this.
  6. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I can get most of that from my tool box at home, I have extras. I use a run of the mill claw hammer for my tire thumper, I think that would suffice in place of a small sledge.

7. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    DEFINITELY on the glad hand stuff. Wish I'd had those last week; cost me a bit of downtime, and/or stopping by my house.

JReding and skellr Thank this.
  8. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    There's no stopping by my place for me. Twenty miles from nowhere, and no way to get a truck to climb the hill I live off. o_O

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Kinda makes me appreciate the flat lands of Ohio, haha! I'm blessed that my 'routes' run me within a mile or two of my home. After almost 30 years driving, I got lucky... (finally!) :)

Pack those connectors and seals, pal. Everything above sounds great, IMHO~!

slim shady, D.Tibbitt and JReding Thank this.
  10. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    First reply duct tape I'm so proud to be part of this forum ,knowing that I'm not the only red neck!

JReding and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    WD40. Get one of those mini cans if you're trying to save space. But I always carry some with me.

slim shady, JReding and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.