Suicide knobs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Missourian

Missourian Bobtail Member

in the minority. I have had the same spinner on my truck for 7 years and it has never given me a lick of trouble. I had on the steering wheel when I was leased on to Schneider in 2002 for four months. When I took my pre-lease driving test the examiner mentioned that spinners were against company policy in company trucks but O/O's were permitted to have them. My spinner has also been on my steering wheel for more DOT inspections than I can remember and given the nitpicky infractions I have been cited for over the years (a gap of more than 5 inches in reflective trailer tape, missing valve stem cap, etc.) I find it difficult to believe that they are illegal.

IMO spinners are extremely useful for backing, not only for convenience of the driver, but also for safety. Unlike the "wipe the steering wheel" method, the driver is in full control of the steering wheel with minute chance of slipping. It is also preferable over the two handed steering method because the driver can turn his head farther and concentrate more on where the trailer is going.

As for dangers and safety issues from having a spinner I can only speak from my own experience. I have driven 1,000,000 miles with a spinner on the steering wheel, and I cannot remember a time that it has ever given me a problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D16

D16 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Vancouver
    I have this device on my steering wheel and it's very useful.:biggrin_25525:

4. fmrbydaytkrbynight

fmrbydaytkrbynight Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Texas
    I have one on my old '70 model kw and wouldn't go without it, since it don't have power steering. i like to grab it with both hands sometimes. you sure don't want to let it get away from ya'.:biggrin_25523:

5. littletree1

littletree1 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Mesa, Az.
    They became popular before most trucks had power steering because it was easier to use them and only required one hand. They were handy, but you did have to watch out if they came back the other way on you.:biggrin_25514:

6. michaelaao

michaelaao Bobtail Member

May 1, 2009
    Shelby, Oh
    Hello, I have been driving for years, but still need advice and opinions. When I was young I was warned about using a brody knob/steering knob, advice sounded good so I never used or thought of using one. Now that I am getting older I took a job doing shuttle driving around town to be home at nights. Two of the trucks I drive have these steering knobs in them, and I love them for the tight turns and backing that I do now. I have only been using them a month with no problems at all, but I know a month is not very long so I would appreciate opinions from those with more experience then myself. Are they really suicide?

7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hmmmm
    I though they were illegal?????
    I'll merge this with another thread going on about this subject
    Good Luck

We do have a search feature on this site
    Its third from the right on the forum tool bar

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    My first truck was an old International cabover. No power steering and a suicide knob. I actually liked the suicide knob with this particular truck...

..until...

...until the back of my right hand smashed into the shifter and sliced the skin off the knuckles.

9. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Nothing to warrant a suicide label,but they will crack back on you and leave a mark :biggrin_25523:
    Ive never pursued the legal thing so I cant comment.
    My oldest one has a patent stamp from like the 50' or early 60's. The top of the knob is well worn and barely legible,Ill have to look next time I'm home.

10. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    I used it and loved it. Had nothing to do with "cool factor". In fact, I never thought about that facet until now.

11. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I've considered getting one for the sole purpose of using it to back into them tight places. The only thing that has held me off is the question of their legality. I suppose I'll ask next time I get DOT'ed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.