Suicide or just lazy?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Suffacated, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Suffacated

Suffacated Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Indio, Ca.

I guess this isn't gonna happen...
    Sorry.

bergy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    I wasn't out to tar and feather you. Water under the bridge.

Suffacated Thanks this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    As a mod,they can do it.

Just click on the ! next to the "thanks" button.

Suffacated Thanks this.
  5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I can change it for you if you want, but honestly I don't think it needs it.

When you don't properly secure a load and something like this happens it is no different than suicide, folks that have never done this kind of work have a hard time comprehending the forces involved with it. Regardless of this being intentional or not, HIS actions cost him HIS life.

Nothereoften, John A., 281ric and 4 others Thank this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Like Oscar said HIS actions caused this.

I would leave the title as it is,this way it might give someone a wake up call about how they secure loads.

281ric and Suffacated Thank this.
  7. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

Pays to chain down the load,,I use 5/8

Suffacated Thanks this.
  8. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    What is anothing that the driver likely never did that you are suppose to do, when transporting this load?

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi macavoy, I hauled heavy equipment for a while, and it's kind of like driving a tanker with half a load, you can never forget what you have behind you. More chains would have helped, but even that is no guarantee. Heavy equipment hauling is one of the hardest things to do, and a momentary lapse of reason, cost this driver his life.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  10. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4172556]Hi macavoy, I hauled heavy equipment for a while, and it's kind of like driving a tanker with half a load, you can never forget what you have behind you. More chains would have helped, but even that is no guarantee. Heavy equipment hauling is one of the hardest things to do, and a momentary lapse of reason, cost this driver his life.[/QUOTE]

I got my start in trucking in heavy haul. I didn't know alot of the rules / regulations. I had an old school trucker drive with me for my first couple of weeks who taught me a lot and was intergral to my development. But it took me a couple months of reading on this forum to learn about FMCSA regulations and a lot of the finer details of the laws.

I didn't realize at first that on a rollback, your suppose to chain the machine down before you move the boom / shovel because of weight shifting. Also, I didn't know at first about the locking pin on articulating machines. It wasn't until we got a new dispatcher who was a former driver who told me about it. I mostly moved a lot of small rollers that articulated and had 4 points of contact but learning about the articulating lock pins was good to know when I started hauling wheel loaders like the one pictured.
    It was only after I read this forum that I learnt about the green bible. It amazes me how many drivers out there that don't know a lot of the regulations. I'm just glad that I've taken the time to learn a lot of these things and have had other good drivers that have shown me the right way and about where to go, if I don't know.

Drivers out there are great assets, they are always willing to help. I've never had a driver say no to me when I ask for advice or help, or to spot. That's a comraderie that I respect.

281ric and "semi" retired Thank this.
  11. jpracer1

jpracer1 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    as soon as it hit those tires it just launched into the cab,RIP driver

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.