suing a broker

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by dannythetrucker, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Does anyone know if you wish to sue a broker in small claims court do you have to do it in their local court and/or state, or can you do it at your local court ? I know noone is a lawyer, just curious if anyone has experience with this ? Seems to me small claims would be a lot more easy and fun for me than messing with the bond, plus I can also sue for my time, travel expenses, etc...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I Can't give you An opinion on a legal mumbo jumbo but I can tell you that's why we have OOIDA membership $45 a year is a lot cheaper than going to a Lawyer for just to ask one question. They do their best to help You resolve issue's with brokers and Truck dealers and such.and they don't care how many times you call them for a question. I have been a member for years now and i used their service's more time's that I Can Remember. They may even Answer you Question with out being a member I don't know. Give them a Call 800-444-5791 ...........8-5 central time

4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Most of the contract's will say in their state. Get a default judgement in your state and it's easy for them to get it overturned.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Or just not pay a judgement, that happens, too.

86scotty, 68Goat and dannythetrucker Thank this.
  6. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    great idea, I'm an OOIDA member. I'll see what they say Monday.

7. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Smile, and enjoy. Judgment is like a promise, It's nice, It don't happen. I wish,

8. jfar28139

jfar28139 Light Load Member

May 28, 2012
    Rutherfordton, NC
    I AM a lawyer. What broker are you talking about? Check your brokerage contract for a choice of law / choice of venue provision.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  9. sharecropper

sharecropper Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    Been there donethat, you've got to go to them in their state; I wish you could make them come to you as I would have done this many times. You come out of small claims court with a judgment if you win then you’ve got to collect and that’s another problem. Defending party can appeal for a court hearing and you’ve got to get alawyer to help you with all the trash they throw at you so the cost is too great to mess with in most cases. Judgment stays on the court books for 10 years in most states then it expires unless you file for an extension. A lot of brokers hid behind a corporate shield by being incorporated or a limited liability meaning you can’t go after personal property only company assets and then here is another problem, they lease every thing they use and most brokers have no listed assets and only keep a small account to operate on. Most of the time these brokers have a way of cheating you and leaving you with no recourse.To collect in most states you’ve got to get the sheriffs department to enforce your claim and they simply go out and the broker will tell them they lease everything and only have a few bucks in the bank and they don’t take payments only the full amount. I don’t claim to be an attorney as some do, I’m a victim and over 50 years of trucking I’ve lost money to these thugs and to this date I’ve never collected a dime. I wish I had good news but with brokers there is none,good luck

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  10. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    You know you can go after the shipper for payment instead of screwing with the broker right? All you need to do is call the shipped with the P.O. number and ask if its been paid. Tell them you were the carrier for the load and haven't been paid for the load by the broker. Also tell them if you are not paid in 7 days you will be collecting from the shipper which you legally have the right to do. Brokers love it when you do that and usually pay pretty quick after being informed that you had a nice conversation with the shipper and they have already paid you for the load and they were not happy getting a call from the carrier who is going to go back to them to collect. That would be my suggestion just make sure you CROSSED OUT that you did not have the right to collect payment from the shipper in their agreement!!! If you didn't then idk what the hell to tell you aside from READ THE BROKER CARRIER AGREEMENTS!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I was asking about suing a broker in small claims court. I didn't say anything about non payment, etc... but feel free to assume any scenario you wish and/or beat your head against brick walls at random. It feels so good when you stop after all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.