Sunglasses - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JustSonny, Nov 11, 2009.

1. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    My dad goes to Costco and recently had to bring his glasses back as one lense popped out. No charge to get them repaired, pretty good service I would say.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Serenghetti drivers! Been wearing them since '84.

I don't know if they are available in prescription. My eyes aren't bad enough yet. :biggrin_25511:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  4. Oversizeload

Oversizeload <strong>"Weight Limit"</strong>

Sep 21, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ive tried all kinds of lenses and makes of glasses. I have found I like rose colored lenses. I wear them in the rain, in the snow just about all the time until its completely dark. They take out all the glare and relieve alot of stress on your eyes. The brand I have now is Suncloud but as long as there rose colored lenses and polarized it doesnt really matter which brand but I never go cheap when it comes to sunglasses.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  5. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Serenghetti's aren't polarized

JustSonny Thanks this.
  6. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Serenghetti drivers are not polarized but I wore them for 14+yrs until they broke when the arm just fractured from the front. Hard to find and the Vermillion Series I had have long since been discontinued.

Now, if your budget permits - the best glasses I have found are Oakley's Nanowire 4.0..I have trialed many pairs of Ray Ban and Oakley. I was after the ultimate sunglass....

http://www.oakley.com/pd/5542

:biggrin_2558:

They use the Iridium Black (lowest level of light transmission) are polarized and also have an anti-reflective coating on the back. Most Oakley's dont have that and you see your eyeballs depending on the way the sun hits them. These glasses also have a anti-dust/dirt/fingerprint coating on them and it works fairly well. They are also made of titanium and you typically forget your even wearing them. They dont wrap around your ears and cause pain like some glasses can do after wearing them for long periods. They hold snug to your head w/o causing pain and are very light..

Too much for most I am sure, ($300) but when it comes to sunglasses, its about function and performance then cost, for me. My eyes are #1.

I own several pairs of these but they need to be kept in their hard case whenever possible. I can't imagine sitting on a pair of these...
    It would be like going to the store..buying a 1.75L bottle of jack and the bag rips in your driveway on the way into the house and the bottle goes..

C-R-A-C-K :biggrin_25516:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    Another driver left behind a pair of amber sunglasses and I ended up using these a lot. They really saved my nightvision as I would keep them on my head until the next idiot fourwheeler came with high beams on. I flipped them down and no more red hurting eyes in the morning. Very little loss of visibility, totally safe.

BTW, what is up with all of these high beams on when traffic was approaching? It wasn't that long ago when drivers let you know when you left your high beams on. Another thing, last night this idiot was blinding everyone in front of him in his poseur F250 with a lift and those HID lights in them, isn't that against the law to have them in a vehicle that didn't come with them? People don't care what they do as long as they are happy..

JustSonny Thanks this.
  8. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State

Or the idiots in the pickup trucks pulling trailers that load the trailer so bad that it has way to much tongue weight and then the headlights go straight in the air blinding everyone in their path.

9. Sarge

Sarge Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    North Florida
    I'll tell ya'll the worst place I've ever had 4 wheelers using their high beams is I-15 south coming down into Cali from Vegas. They must be all sauced and can't see.LOL.
    It seems every time I go that way at night they are there like clockwork,######!

10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    I have two pairs of very cheap BlueBlocker clipons, one amber for night driving and one a sort of brown-purplish color, and I swear by them. Downside is they're plastic and can be scratched easily, but I keep them in cases. $10 at roadside stands, and I like them a lot better than polarized. My eyes relax and I don't get headaches anymore.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    I like the blueblockers as well. Also, I have several pairs, nothing expensive. I keep them in cheap cases in an empty plastic coffee container and usually a pair or two on the console. I have a couple of pairs of the yellow/Amber ones for night or at dusk and dawn.
    I have different styles as well, some are more wrap around while others are more open. For me, I like to change my sunglasss and socks throughout the day. Some days I wear the same pair of socks all day and change my glasses a few times, other days I change my socks a few times and wear the same pair of glasses all day.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.