Super singles (yes or no)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RKH, Mar 9, 2014.

1. RKH

RKH Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Looking at them for a Reefer and Van operation with a 10ft spread. Still not sure but some input would help.

nofilter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Wow, you just gave out loaded guns in crowd lol. The SS debate is one that has been talked about several times.

On a 10 foot spread you certainly can get all the same advantages of SS. The difference is you will wear out your tires faster then on a tandom configuration. I don't see any evidence that the SS wear faster then duels becuase of the split axle. On a 10 foot spread, dump valve or not, your gonna be scraping the tire sideways some times. http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck_en_us/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=X One XTE The Xone XTE (linked) has a higher scrub resistance then the Xone XTA. It is designed for a split axle configuration. However the RR is 109. The XTA is only 89. That's a pretty big difference. If it were me, I'd put XTA on everything and be very vigilant about using the dump valve on EVERY turn. If you gonna be lazy with the dump valve the XTE will last longer and resist the side scruff better.

So advantages to singles? Better mpg. I feel better handling, but that's debatable. Less blow outs. (although you may be stuck if you do blow one out) Depending on config you can still limp with a missing tire. I had a trailer blow out and couldn't hear a guy on the cb properly telling me. (right side so not many saw it) 200 miles later i arrived and saw my single on the trailer was gone. No rim damage. I wouldnt recomned driving 200 miles with one tire out, but ride and handling wasnt effected enough for me to notice. In some cases, limping can damage rim, but you can do it. if a rear goes out, hit the rear dump valve to take the weight off. Also, less tires to check air on (although i recommend auto inflation for trailers.)

nofilter Thanks this.
  4. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    U mostly need to be more aware once the tread worns out. Put wheel balancers to last it longer.

nofilter Thanks this.
  5. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I'll be sure to pass this gem around to the mechanics around our shop. It should be good for a few laughs. :)

Edit: On topic, I wouldn't bother with super singles unless you're going whole hog. If you're pulling company trailers it's not worth the partial benefit for the ginormous price tag.

nofilter Thanks this.
  6. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    why not, obviously it depends on the load weight, but if one axle can support you around turns it can support you a few miles until you get to a exit and reduce risk of damage to rim. I know drivers that forgot to turn dump off and only realized when they went to brake after driving miles. Legal,, no, but neither is limping on a dual blowout.

What ginormous price tag? Singles cost twice the cost of a single tire. you need half as many so you just about break even. As for the rims, Michilan always runs deals for rim rebates if you buy 4 singles.

nofilter Thanks this.
  7. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    You should use some sort of wheel balancing all the time. Not just when the tread wears out. I use the beads that go in the tire and have been pleased with results.

nofilter Thanks this.
  8. russtrucker

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    How do you get those beads into tires?

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    nofilter Thanks this.
  10. russtrucker

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    And did you gain any mpg?

11. speedracer 1963

speedracer 1963 Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2008
    illinois
    super singles ?

not a chance in hell if I owned a tractor / trailer

nofilter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.