Super Singles

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Round2, Apr 8, 2012.

1. gerardo1961

gerardo1961 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    miami
    I have a question,can i have in 1 driveaxel SS,and in the other axel dualtire

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    When I'm sitting on the side of the road with ONE flat tire the last thing I'm worried about is CSA points. The best way to get CSA points is to sit on the side of the road and WAIT for a cop to stop by. Oh and I bet if I was to ask 100 people in the trucking industry what a super single was, 90% of them would point out the wide base single. The old balloon singles are a thing of the past, trust me I had 4 I almost had to give away.
    As long as they're the same outer diameter it doesn't matter. Especially for a limited time.

4. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    I wanted to try them & last week there were three sets taken off of fuel trucks. I bid around $1200-$1250 & they went for around $1400. They were on rims & about or just under half tread.

Given some more time to think about it, why would a truck dealership strip all those off & replace them with duals? Thinkin' I did good by losing. ;)

5. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    I love that silly argument... If you blow one, your dead in the water.
    My response is, what if you blow a steer tire ?
    How come steers don't come in dual ?
    Maybe the weight rating might have something to do with it ?

I've been running them for 7 yrs and I pull a step and haul OD loads and do construction site and mines where there is lots of dirt and mud and I've never gotten stuck or had issues.

They are expensive and they are not for everyone, but unless you've run them, you comments are purely speculative based on your own ignorance.

BTW, the earth is bombarded by hundreds of meteorites everyday, shouldn't you be wearing a hard hat or staying inside of a cave just incase you might get struck by one that isn't completely burned up by the atmosphere ?

Cowpie1 and Jfaulk99 Thank this.
  6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    They are with a wide track axle.

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA

Since we are on Michelins for this post, what is the cost of virgin new Michelin low pro 22.5 standard XTE tires in comparison? I recently priced XDN2 drive rubber in standard ($525 a piece) and an Xone XDN2 tire (roughly the same as your price... $1050). Pretty darn equivalent pricing.

I will concede that unless one is looking for weight savings, as well as possible fuel savings, then it is probably not worth it. After all, it doesn't matter to some how much the equipment weighs and what the fuel mileage is. I pull on the heavy side quite often and like not buying any more fuel than I have to, so it does mean something to me.

8. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    I tried to add last night to my above post that a local to me carrier of coal & most anything else that can go in a dump body switched their entire fleet over to them a couple years back. Trucks & trailers both. All their new Petes sitting in St. Louis were spec'd w/them as well. Granted weight is a concern for those guys, just wish I could see their data if fuel mileage was up or longevity.

Cowpie1, you are very correct. If you compare apples to apples they wash out on pricing with duals. But less options in a worst case scenario. A friend of mine was telling me that Michelin has a "rescue" program for them if that is what you are running.

9. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Drive tires like the XDN2's are quite a bit more than the trailer tread I just priced. The last drive X1's I got were XDN2 and they were $904 each (tax included) and that was October of 2010, tires have gone up considerably since then.

If I could remember my account information for the Michelin national account website I would tell you what they are now. The weight savings isn't much if you already have LP22.5's and all aluminum wheels. They do roll easier but if you have to go out and buy all new wheels/tires it's going to take you forever to make up the cost of the switch (if at all).

10. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Now that I would agree. Switching over to them is hard for most to justify and it can be a long ROI. Coming out of the factory would be the best way to go full wide based. I did that with my recent truck order. I always left me an out though.... I ordered intermediate DualTrac axles that are made specifically for both wide based and dual configurations. Just in case I ever found the need to go back to duals. And having them done in aluminum axle housings saved quite a bit of weight overall.

11. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    I disagree...

The savings in fuel, even at only .02 a mile equates to $2000 @ 100,000 miles.
    The added cost of switching over is about $1500 which can be offset when you trade your tires/wheels in.

So for argument sake, lets say the first yr is a wash... tires are lasting 300,000 miles, my 1st set lasted 330,000... that equates to a $6000 savings over the life of the tires, minus the initial investment of $1500 added cost for the wheels = $4500 which more then pays for the next set.

Sorry, but in the bigger picture, the savings over the life of the tire not only covers the additional cost to switch but the cost of the next set.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.