Superior Carriers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SurfBaker, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Hottub

Hottub Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2008
    What all is involved in the dex test ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Superior is that type of company. If a driver says he doesn't feel safe its no questions asked. Dispatchers might get pissed but that's because they have loads to move and the pressure that comes from that.

SurfBaker and spindrift Thank this.
  4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
  5. SurfBaker

SurfBaker Light Load Member

May 12, 2019
    jensen Beach, FL
    [/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t take the load if I wasn’t confident in my abilities. There was no pressure on me to take the load, he asked if I can do it and I thought about it & told him yeah I can get that done. It wouldn’t have been so tiring if I could’ve gotten the load off in normal time. I agree with you 100% though, I just know my limitations.

6. SurfBaker

May 12, 2019
    jensen Beach, FL
    Declining a load is easy, I’ve told them no on several occasions and I didn’t feel bad for one minute. If I can take it, I’ll take it and I’ll get it done. If I can’t take it, it’s a simple no. It’s really that easy. I understand their job is tough and they’re trying to get loads filled and delivered on time and there’s lots of pressure on them but that’s not my problem. I just turn down a load to Nebraska today because it was too close to my home date and I didn’t want to risk getting home late. I don’t internalize their problems or personalize them. If I can help I will gladly but I have boundaries for my personal life and sometimes I need to enforce those boundaries.

7. spindrift

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
  8. spindrift

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Don't know what went wrong with that vid but it's a playback of the end of a Dirty Harry movie when Harry Callahan says, "A man's got to know his limitations".

A true classic.

SurfBaker Thanks this.
  9. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I took the dexterity test today. It's not so bad if you're in reasonably good shape, which is what they're trying to find out and the point of the whole thing.

From what I recall:
    1. Resting bp and heart rate
    2. Step up box test to a preset rhythm for three minutes. It's a step up of about 18" to 2ft - not completely sure how farm but it's not overly high. Take heart rate at completion to make sure it's not excessive.
    3. Pull test w/ hand meter to measure force. Measure heart rate.
    4. Push test w/ hand meter to measure force. Measure heart rate.
    5. Squat down and touch the floor 10x. Measure heart rate.
    6. Squat down and lift box w/ about 50 lbs. to waist level 3x. Measure heart rate.
    7. Lift box w/ 50 lbs off of shelf and over head 3x. Measure heart rate.
    8. Lift box w/ 70 lbs off of shelf to shoulder lever 3x. Measure heart rate.
    9. Carry bucket w/ either hand w/ 40 lbs 20 yds and back. Measure heart rate.
    10. Carry bucket w/ either hand w/ 70 lbs 20 yds and back. Measure heart rate.
    11, Walk balance beam about 20 ft forward.
    12. Walk balance beam backwards 20 ft ( this was the hardest test and frankly I don't know why you'd ever do this up on truck catwalk?! ).
    13. Walk balance beam side-to-side step 20 ft and back.

That's basically the gist of what I remember. The weights and distances are approximate, they could be a little lower or higher but if you're in reasonable health it shouldn't be a problem.

SurfBaker Thanks this.
  10. SurfBaker

May 12, 2019
    jensen Beach, FL
    Clint Eastwood has some of the best one-liners! I love that movie!

spindrift Thanks this.
  11. WIlee81

WIlee81 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2019
    SE Louisiana
    Sweet I'm starting on Monday! Keep me updated on when they're sending you to orientation. I'll be training local at first and aiming to go Feb. 3rd.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.