Superior Tattoo Policy?

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by AM14, Oct 6, 2015.

1. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Hello everyone, I couldn't find an existing thread so here goes. I've been becoming more and more interested in Superior the more I read about the company and mostly through wsyrob's incredibly detailed posts. I am 10 minutes from the Sparta, NJ terminal. I will be calling to find out more info but wanted to get the inside scoop on tattoos since we all know recruiters and drivers will tell you different things. I have the tops of my hands tattooed and you can see parts of tattoos from above a t shirt neck line. My sleeves can be covered but im afraid you will still see the hands and upper chest. Nothing offensive and they aren't prison style junk.

They are award winning tattoos but they are still tattoos nonetheless. I'm not one of those guys who cries employment discrimination because of something I chose to do to myself during different times and working in a different industry. I have no one to blame but myself. With that being said, before I look any further into Superior, can anyone give me some insight on this or maybe if they have seen other drivers with something similar? Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Dunno about Superior... as for MOST carriers , you should be just fine.

The only time I could see them having a possible issue with tats', (I'm inked myself, discreetly) is when knot heads write HATE and other things on their necks and places that can't be covered, or ink up their faces.

Even as truckers we need to remember that we interact with the public as ambassadors on behalf of our companies.

You SHOULD be fine . If they don't want a SAFE driver with classy tats'.... their loss. Move along.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Reason for edit: Spelling. ..autocorrect is not so correct
  4. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    If you do get an interview, go in wearing dress clothes/suit that shows a serious business side and be professional. They will probably think your the coolest applicant they ever had. Your attitude about your tats in your post is spot on. Since you have personal accountability I would hire you on the spot. Good luck to you.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I have never seen a corporate policy against them and know other drivers with them. Business casual dress is fine for the interview. No need for a suit and tie. As long as they aren't offensive you should be fine.

6. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Thank you all for the input. I talked to two different people over the phone today at the Sparta, NJ terminal and double checked that my school was on their approved list. I will be starting at Smith and Solomon in Linden, NJ this coming Monday, 10/12. The school pushes Schneider Bulk on you pretty hard but hopefully I can at least get an interview with SC when I'm done.

We will know for sure about the tattoo thing then but from what I have read and heard today, it shouldn't be a problem. I have backups of course but Superior looks like a winner to me.

BTW wsyrob, I lost almost a full night's sleep thanks to your thread. Great writing though and I definitely appreciated reading it. Just curious, are there any Superior drivers from NJ on here or drivers who frequent the Sparta location?

wsyrob and Wild Murphy Thank this.
  7. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I frequent the Pedricktown terminal, but have never been to Sparta. Pedricktown has some good runs.

AM14 Thanks this.
  8. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Thanks for the info NC. Pedricktown is about 125 miles from me but my wife has been talking about moving down that way to be closer to family. So that is an option for the future. It would be sweet to get hired at the Sparta terminal though. I drive further than that to get my morning coffee. Everything else around here requires 2 years exp.

9. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    I don't recall there being a tattoo policy in the handbook. It talks about grooming, jewelry, and clothing, but not tats. Good luck in your future endeavors.

AM14 Thanks this.
  10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Sparta is a rail trans-loading facility. I am not sure if they base drivers out of there. They might let you park a truck there for home time though working out of another terminal. Best to give the terminal manager a call. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sparta loads are dispatched out of Pedricktown. This is all just speculation on my part. I have never been to Sparta.

AM14 Thanks this.
  11. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Thanks Thermos. And wsyrob, You bring up a great point that I didnt even think about. The terminal looks rather small from what I can see from the road and satellite pictures and i didnt see any tractors. You might be right. I just looked closer at the website and it does say that Sparta is just transloading.

Pedricktown is full service though. I will give a call over to the TM and see if I could be based out of Pedricktown and take my home time in Sparta like you said. Maybe other drivers have the same situation. This sure threw a monkey wrench into my plan but I'm glad I found out now and can figure out my options. So glad I found this forum. Thanks for the heads up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.