Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    could be my laptop, will look more, thanks for being here

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Sometimes your USB ports will get hung. I find that if you connect the TND (on) to your computer, then reboot your computer that sometimes the port will wake up.

Other times I have had to go into the registry and delete the port #'s to reassigned them again after a reboot.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. robbiehorn

robbiehorn Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Axtell,Texas
    Mark just spent over an hour of his time with me repairing my computer so I could update my TND. His computer knowledge skills are amazing!! The world needs more good people like him. Thank you Mark very much for what you did for me.

Dieselboss, Mark Kling and SavageSam Thank this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Is it just a feature of the server you have hosting the download that no matter what speed my internet is, it will still take 4 hours to download?

seriously, had a 25MB cable connection and it took 4 hours, then tried on my phone's 35MB connection (kokomo, IN verizon) it still wanted 4 hours) and now on my 5 MB connection it's taking 4 hrs....

The trend I sense is; you dont want us updating very often and when we do it will take 4 hours... this seems to be a problem, I am not on dialup, why must your server treat me like I am?

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Ah, so the question you would be asking is did RM have server issues yesterday? No reported outages over the weekend.

Most of my downloads take about 30-45 minutes on 30 mb down.

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    John, I saw your post yesterday, but my mind was fuzzed out.. I am working on narrowing down a Freeze issue with some TND's. What models it affects I am unsure of yet.

As for the avoids. You have two options.

Temporary - On the map screen, slide out the Turn-by-Turn (right side with the -> ____). Find the road you wish to avoid, click on it and hit detour at the top. Depending on the length of that segment you may get several options.

Permanent - On the map screen, bottom left, tap on the Cog. Click on Detour. You can then select on the right side a distance to avoid at the beginning of the route or on the left side, scroll down to the segment you wish to avoid and click on it.

Thanks,
    Mark

8. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Hi Mark, hope you can help with some issues I'm having. I bought a TND 500 a couple years ago. The week after I bought it I saw the new 510's on the shelf. I was not a happy camper, but that was then, this is now. At first the unit worked fine with an occasional problem finding some addresses, sending me on bizzarre routes to get to a truck stop and stuff like that.

One time early on, I hooked up to my computer and did an update and ever since that time I still had the old problems, but now it would also freeze up. It would usually freeze after I would put in a destination, never while I was driving so it was something I could work around. I did notice last winter that it was more problematic when I first turned it on each day, and it would also beep as it booted up.

The problem I'm having now is much more serious. It's just plain freaking out. Everything will be just fine then it beeps and the screen changes, like I pushed the tab for the slide out on the right, or the top right corner to select a time option, or the map itself to get a broad view of the area (never understood that one). Usually it just one at a time, then when I clear it it does it again, either the same tab or a different one. Sometimes it will just completely freak out and do all three rapidly.

I cant safely drive and play chase the rabbit with my gps all day long. When it starts to do this my only option is to turn it off. What's the point in having a gps if I can't use it?

So what are my options? Is this something that could be fixed? I know it's out of warranty and I can't afford to send it out for repairs. Is it time for a new unit? I would like something more up to date, but after reading all the bad reviews about new units of all brands I'm kinda gun shy. This unit hasn't been perfect, but it's been ok. I would hate to get a new unit and be no better off than I am right now.

Thanks for your help Mark.

Bill

9. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Yes Mark I am aware of how to do this at the present time,I was only suggesting that it would be a lot easier to avoid a road that you don't want to use if when u slide out the turn by turn and click on that road that u get the option to permanently avoid that road esp. if the road is a long way into the trip so that the unit recalcs without that road and future routes that would use that road, hence permanent avoid.

thanks
    john

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    ah,,, got it.

Thanks,
    mark

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    PM me.

Thanks,
    mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.