Swift age requirements

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Dec 4, 2012.

1. d_man

d_man Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Whats with swift wanting you to be 23 to drive but 21 if you have been in the military. I thought they were always 21.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Nah...my son went in the Army when he was 17!:biggrin_2559:

It's the big push by the mega carriers to see who can wrangle in the most Vets...we hear the different carriers (Crete, Werner, Schneider) bragging on satellite radio how each one is the best for returning Vets.....must be some government incentive to get them on board!

4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Was just talking about this the other day with a driver friend. I couldn't believe the age requirements of some of these companies! Some companies won't hire you unless you are 30 years old! I can see the 23 year old age requirement, just because of insurance and such, but 30?!

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I was talking with our "Safety" Director a week or so ago...and when he asked what we could do to get the company to grow, I responded with make DHE a training company, open your own school, train the drivers the way the company wants them...then you don't have to deal with correcting bad habits, you instill good habits. He responded with..."our Insurance won't allow anyone with less than 18 months experience". I came back with the statistics from Swift and Werner about the most dangerous time in a drivers career is between 9 months and 15 months (highest accident/incident time period). He came back with:

"No, that is not correct, the highest accident/incident rate is 2-5 years."

I said....."and these are the drivers you are trying to hire....with more experience within the "highest rate" group?"

My God...they don't realize they are contradicting their own arguments every time they open their mouth!:biggrin_25523:

chompi Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Actually most of the companies w/ schools are self insured to some degree.

I recall Matlack was for the first $250K meaning that the company paid all claims under $250,000.00 while the insurance coverage started in at $251K.

Most of the small claims become part of the cost of operations; including the bumps & bruses of using newbies.

Shopping for coverage form $250K to $5 Million is alot easier than getting coverage for the whole nut.
    They would only be looking at the experience mod of claims that go over $250K when pricing coverage instead of every bump and grind.

7. Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown Light Load Member

May 7, 2012
    lapine or
    I seen about six months ago where the gov. was giving big tax breaks to employers who hire vets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.