Swift Comdata Card

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Traffic Jam, May 14, 2017.

1. Traffic Jam

Traffic Jam Bobtail Member

May 9, 2017
    RE: Comdata Card

OK, sorry, this is pretty simple here. I am going to Swift School May 22, 2017. I am wanting to know exactly what is a Comdata Card and what is it used for?
    -Credit type of card I assume (I mean a plastic type of card, not an actual "credit card")?
    -Used to purchase fuel, oil, etc., for your truck?
    -Do they put your pay on it also? Do I have a choice on that?(I want it all DD).
    -Type of ID card for the company also?
    -Any other helpful info would be great.
    -Thanks

-Traffic Jam

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It's just a card you use to buy fuel and a few other things they let you buy on it. You can get cash advances on it and get the cash out at any ATM. You can also get advances to use to fund Comchecks, which you will occasionally need to use to pay lumpers.

Keep in mind when they say "advance" it means just that. Whatever they advance you on your card will get taken right back out of your next check. The way you get reimbursed for things is to turn in receipts with your trip paperwork.

Swift offers direct deposit. You can even divide you direct deposit between several different bank accounts if you want. What they will not do is pay you by check. If you don't sign up for direct deposit they will put your pay on your ComData card.

Also, for some strange reason you last check when you quit will go on your ComData card whether you want it to or not.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    What's the transaction fee for using it for personal reasons ?

5. Antinomian

Feb 17, 2013
    You can't use it for personal reasons. All you can do is use it for fuel purchases, Comchecks, or cash at the ATM. There is a transaction fee for using an ATM, but I don't remember what it was. There is no fee (to the driver) for fuel or Comchecks.

BTW what I wrote above is just the way Swift has their ComData cards setup to work. ComData cards work differently at other companies.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It is like any debit card. You pay the fee the machine charges.

ComData also charges a fee for checking your balance. I'm not sure what the fee is though.
    Unlike some banks, I don't thing they charge a fee for being 'out of network'.

7. Traffic Jam

Traffic Jam Bobtail Member

May 9, 2017
    Thank you for the replies. I understand. I appreciate this help.

-Traffic Jam

8. 3523

3523 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    You can check your balance through the Qualcomm to avoid the fee.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    If you have money on your Com Data card, it can be used at most POS locations as a debit card.

10. Antinomian

Feb 17, 2013
    That wasn't true when I was at Swift. The OP was asking specifically about the Swift ComData card.

11. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Yes you can use your Swift issued Comdata card at any retailer that shows the Star symbol for the credit/debit cards (look on the back of the card and you will see what I mean).

When I was at Swift I would get a $105 advance when I needed money for the week. You get $105 so the $5 will cover the ATM fee. When I learned I can use the card at retailers, I would go to Walmart and get some supplies. When I checked out, first I would purchase a pack of crackers from the check stand for $.44 cents and then get $100 cash back. This way I only spent $.44 cents to get my money instead of $5 at the ATM. After doing that for a few weeks, I would have $120 available instead of just $100. Be smart, work the system. Why give YOUR money away to the banks?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.